• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Climbing Stick Question

NCHunterKP

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am considering rigging up some DIY climbing sticks. My question is concerning steel and aluminum that is commonly available at hardware stores. I’ve been looking at 1” square steel, zinc plated steel, and aluminum stock. 1/16” thickness and I plan to cut them to around 24” long. Pictured are some of the options I’ve been looking at, obviously the steel is heavier. But I guess my question is has only used this commonly available square tubing? Is it strong enough to make climbing sticks? Let’s hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Lots of threads on this, and 6061 aluminum seems to be king for this application. I’ve built them using 1/8” thickness, which at 190 is where I’m comfortable. Others have used 1/16”, but as always your safety your choice.

Hello everyone, this is my first post here. I am considering rigging up some DIY climbing sticks. My question is concerning steel and aluminum that is commonly available at hardware stores. I’ve been looking at 1” square steel, zinc plated steel, and aluminum stock. 1/16” thickness and I plan to cut them to around 24” long. Pictured are some of the options I’ve been looking at, obviously the steel is heavier. But I guess my question is has only used this commonly available square tubing? Is it strong enough to make climbing sticks? Let’s hear your thoughts. Thanks!

Hardware store aluminum is 6063 99% of the time. It will not work for sticks.

If you're bolting things together the steel might work for you. I'd be careful welding on that thin of metal for something structural if you aren't very experienced.

Spend a little time reading around here before you waste your money!

Back