• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy climbing stick

austin1990

SH Member
Just finished up my first climbing stick, ordered standoffs from DanO, bought and drilled the 1”x 1/16” tube myself, bought some roundstock aluminum and machine the button out of, and I had some 1/4” aluminum plate that I made the steps out of. I have already started on some 3/8” steps, I’m only about 150 lbs and haven’t got the 1/4 “ steps to bend yet but I still will feel better with the thicker step. Also there is very minimal flex in the stick itself, I only done one to see how it’d hold up before I spend the time building more. I’ll upload more pics in a bit, also this is the webbed strap from DanOIMG_1236.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, they’re far from perfect but getting better all the time. I got started milling on my new steps on my work break today, hopefully can finish them tomorrow IMG_1260.jpgIMG_1262.jpg

Not sure what it weighs yet, I’ll weigh it after I put my new steps on. Getting close to being done with themIMG_1269.jpg

I finished milling out my steps earlier and then tumbled for an hour, now they’re smooth as glass. I’ll get them mounted to the stick sometime this weekend and try to get a weightIMG_1274.jpg

Got my steps on and they look good, only scale I have available but shows just a smidge over 1.5 lbs, call it 1.7-1.8 lbs. I'll take it, hopefully can weigh it on a better scale soon but plenty good enough for me. Supposed to rain Tomorrow and most of this week so it may be a while before I can get them on a tree with the new steps. 20190302_225615.jpeg20190302_225557.jpeg20190302_225525.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks ya'll!

What bolts are you using on your steps?
They're some grade 8 1/4"-20 x 3/4" flat socket cap screws, they've got an angled head so I counter sunk the steps to accommodate. It Leaves the bolts flush with the step, plus I feel like they hold better than a regular hex cap bolt but I don't know that, that is true at all.

Just finished up my first climbing stick, ordered standoffs from DanO, bought and drilled the 1”x 1/16” tube myself, bought some roundstock aluminum and machine the button out of, and I had some 1/4” aluminum plate that I made the steps out of. I have already started on some 3/8” steps, I’m only about 150 lbs and haven’t got the 1/4 “ steps to bend yet but I still will feel better with the thicker step. Also there is very minimal flex in the stick itself, I only done one to see how it’d hold up before I spend the time building more. I’ll upload more pics in a bit, also this is the webbed strap from DanOView attachment 10543

What type of aluminum tubing did you use? Where did you get it?

What type of aluminum tubing did you use? Where did you get it?
I used 6061 aluminum square tube 1" with 1/16" wall, ordered from mcmaster carr. I will say after dilling one out and building another there's not enough weight savings to justify all the holes in the 1/16" wall tube.

I used 6061 aluminum square tube 1" with 1/16" wall, ordered from mcmaster carr. I will say after dilling one out and building another there's not enough weight savings to justify all the holes in the 1/16" wall tube.

Not at all. It’s a lot of work. Lol.
Your sticks look great.

Damn nice looking setup. Seeing those action shots make me miss the shop and the smell of cutting oil....good memories.

Nick

Back