• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY etrier, how to hold open steps?

Marmuzz

Old school idea, discussed so much I couldn't find the answer I wanted in searches...

Considering making a DIY etrier using tubular webbing, maybe 4-6 steps.

What do you use to keep the steps open?

I have thought of getting black washing machine hose, cutting 16-20" sections lengthwise, slipping it over, and duct taping it.

Have also thought of trying to slide pex tubing lengths inside the full webbing piece before tying any knots and then sliding the pex pieces into step positions before tying the overhand knots.

Any better ideas?

I’ve made some aiders where I’ve slipped garden hose over the steps and black taped it, it makes a really comfortable step but weighs a lot (relative to other aiders). Which at some point is ok cause I’m carrying less weight in sticks. I’ve thought about (but not built) tubular webbing aiders with rubber coated wire inside. I’m not sure that would be better than regular cable aiders, but it would be cheaper cause you didn’t have to buy the crimp on things.

I used garden hose on my two step aider for my sticks and worked well. I use a Black Diamond Etrier with my WE Stepps. All they use is some thick and heavy material. But for $33 maybe just buy one?

Here is my take on it....skip the tubular part and use flat webbing and stack layers of webbing in the footbed of the step. Speedy stitcher makes for slow going but the double/tripled up webbing holds open better than anything else I've found but still flexible enough throughout the rest of the aider that it still relatively easy to fold up and stow away.

I made mine from 2" webbing. If I was to redesign and do it again I'd make the main structure of the aider outta 1" webbing and use 3" wide webbing in the footbed

A stiff 11mm rope stuffed inside 1" tubular webbing is about right for me. It keeps it open but still contours to your foot. I bought the adjustable aider sold on EWO (CGM maybe?) and while it's nice, whatever they stuff inside the webbing is a little stiffer than I like. It is too rigid to contour to your foot, which I find leaves it a little more prone to losing control and kickout type incidents. When I aider climb, I prefer to dig my insole into the tree as opposed to my toe, just a little more control and the too-rigid step makes that more difficult.

If you sewn two pieces of webbing together it will be stiff and hold open. I use this for my foot loops. For my ladder steps for my one stick I stuff zip ties in the steps. This also works well.

1/4" air brake line slid into webbing with ends sewn. It's semi flexible and light. Going on the 2nd year in my 2 step aider

I made one with 7" lengths of utility rope inside it. It worked OK but brake line or PEX pipe or something similar would have worked better. If you have a retired garden hose you could also cut sections out of it to slide over the tread portions.

Back