• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY: first saddle hunting pack using MOLLE II frame and straps as base

raisins

SH Member
I couldn't find what I wanted as far as a pack, and then I spotted a plastic MOLLE II frame in the corner with all these attachment points (and rigid). Thing loaded with sticks and platform is easily hefted with 1 arm. Pack in photo 2 with nothing on it (except Doyle's hoist in pouch) is 5 lbs.

First photo is with 4 sticks and treesuit platform attached. Frame and straps are sponge painted (desert camo is no good in WV). Fleece pouches from DanO are used to house a Doyle's hoist to the left and treesuit's strap to the right.

DanO's kydex hooks are on the waist belt to hold my sticks on the way up. I heated and squished these to grab onto paracord loops on the sticks a bit better.

Cushioning between sticks/platform and plastic frame is provided by 3 rows of solid, 2" pool noodles from oodles of noodles lashed on with cord also running through the center of each. I wish paint stuck to these better.

Everything is held down with bungee cord loops with balls wrapped in camo form tape. These are all attached to the frame with knots and zip ties so they are quick into action and can't be lost.

Second photo shows sticks and platform off. The two gear bags in the middle are modified Sea to Summit mesh bags with one having an Osprey zipper pouch sewed to the front. The one to the left is for in the tree gear, the one to the right will be for ropes/aiders/harness and other stuff I need first thing at the tree.

Third photo shows a stick attached with a center mounted bungee. This will be my second stick on the tree and then the ones on each side will be sticks 3 and 4. It is very easy to grab this stick and then detach the bungee with the other hand. I just have to attach this at base of tree along with other sticks to kydex hooks.

Fourth photo shows the paracord and Nite Ize cam jam that is attached to the pack top. I will girth hitch the cam jam back onto the cord and around the tree and adjust to length to hang pack from the tree independent of my bow and other gear on the tree.

IMG_5387.jpgIMG_5388.jpgIMG_5389.jpgIMG_5390.jpg

Last edited:
I have a couple of these Molle frames. They work great for all sorts of needs. Looks like you have got yours figured out! Used one of mine last year in a DIY version of the JX3 hybrid. It worked well and doubled as a meat pack when my brother killed a good buck way in the mountains.

Following for inspiration.

I ended up buying the frame from an Eberlestock F1 and inted to make something similar.

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

Back