• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Fleece Saddle DaveT Inspired

Limbbender

Well, it looks like I am not alone in getting excited for my first ever saddle (Mantis) to arrive. That said I too have decided to delve into making a fleece saddle. I watched DaveTs video and proceeded to go out and buy a couple yards of Fleece from Wally World! I bought some 1/4" Amsteel from Amazon and a pack of knitting needles I cut down for a FID.

I hemmed up the long edges then folded over the short edges and sewed them creating a sleeve I could put a rope in that I will later bunch the material around and attach my amsteel with the locking girth hitch Dave shows in his video.

One question I have is...If I created locking brummel amsteel loops, how big should I make them to so I can do the girth hitch over the bunched up material?
3d63592d81077eb97c25efe271264252.jpg
b0f4db07207d2cceba55ae417e42f400.jpg
f4d4656d7166a36e67de01eb17c5508a.jpg
b2324801722bc853a250a29b7255e9d2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Thanks! It is a good feeling. I just tied a couple loops temporarily and will be heading out pshortly to do a ground hang.
32ef0c5100e0c63ac2684181d2dd9044.jpg

Well I gave it a try. I am going to have to change the orientation so the stretch comes from bridge tie off to bridge tie off. Currently it is stretching front to back. The parts that cross my body dont stretch so it caused some hip pinch and pressure across my legs. That said it held my weight (250+) no problem. I'll post pics up when I build the next one.

Well I gave it a try. I am going to have to change the orientation so the stretch comes from bridge tie off to bridge tie off. Currently it is stretching front to back. The parts that cross my body dont stretch so it caused some hip pinch and pressure across my legs. That said it held my weight (250+) no problem. I'll post pics up when I build the next one.

I’m on my 3rd build from scratch saddle, each one has been a learning experience.

Nice build. I have zero hip pinch in the few I made - I think I orientated them to where the stretch was across the saddle but not sure. And credit has to be given to Sam and the other Gent (can't remember who it was) as I copied from them. The fleece saddles are fantastic. But I will hunt with either the Kestrel or the Mantis - depending on which one I like best. And if I get one of those stinking HATS.

Last edited:
Nice build. I have zero hip pinch in the few I made - I think I orientated them to where the stretch was across the saddle but not sure. And credit has to be given to Sam and the other Gent (can't remember who it was) as I copied from them. The fleece saddles are fantastic. But I will hunt with either the Kestrel or the Mantis - depending on which one I like best. And if I get one of those stinking HATS.
Thanks Dave. I agree on the giving credit to Sam and the other guys as well. I couldnt remember who else I got the info from on here as I have been pouring over so many posts.

The hip pinch should go away with the next one I build. I purchased the Mantis early July so figured I'd play around. I want my son to give saddle hunting a go as well, so I decided to make one for him to try out(with a RCH, of course).

Anyhow, I'll post build picks when I get started on this one ws well.

Justsomedude?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Got the second one completed and a little hang time. My son makes it look so comfortable. I did make a bridge with two 12" loops with locked brummels and did a locking girth hitch on the ends. I also shortened fleece by a few inches so the material didn't wrap around as much where the bridge attaches. I'll have to get pictures of the actual saddle when I head back to my shop!
efc49d7813c6b96576d663add701ccc3.jpg

That looks super comfortable. Back it up with a harness just to be safe! Happy hanging!

Sent from my Galaxy S8.
Thanks, that's the intent. Told him to check it out (after I did) and see what he thought.

Looks good, Yours is at least a foot longer than mine by the looks of it, my fleece is only about 6 in above my hips on both sides. It may be more comfortable longer. LOL I may need to try a longer one

Where is the original post with the measurements? I picked up a few yards of camo fleece to make a saddle on my college student budget. Already had the rch, just looking for the right measurements so I don’t have to scrap my $9 fabric investment

How do you tie the RCH and fleece saddle together so you can wear it in or do you just assemble at the tree?

I put mine on at the tree. The fleece catches little burrs or stickers like crazy and my cheapo rch ends up at my ankles if I dont just pack it in. The fleece saddle bridge gets the ropeman and the rch loop gets the prusik on the same tether.

After everything else is set in the tree I put it on by pulling over my head.

I want to try a flleece saddle and hate to ask dumb questions on here but are you using a separate tether on RCH and fleece to take your weight out of the rch for comfort? I've tried to find vids to make and use the fleece but no luck.

Back