• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Frame Pack Build.

biggta5

I’ve been wanting to build a backpack for hunting this year. I’ve been looking at used frames to find some kind of deal $$$. The ones I have found for cheap are always too big or to noisy with pin frame part but I got lucky today and found this one for $3. I think it’s an old Boy Scout frame but not sure. The only thing I will be using is the frame. I’m open for ideas from those of y’all that have this style of frame on what you like or don’t like or would change for comfort or usability.

Well you need two things. A comfortable hip belt and comfortable shoulder straps. How tall is the frame? Needs to be tall enough to have good load lift capability for your height.

So you have a couple of options. Buy those components or make those components. All this hinges one your abilities and ambition as a maker. You can buy a hip belt and shoulder straps from kifaru for about $120 total. If you are going to go all out and make them, id likely suggest to just make the entire frame pack. Can you make that frame work? Yes. But all you have is a rigid panel capable of transferring load to hips if properly configured. You also need to attach a bag to that frame. It wouldnt be too big of a deal to make it capable of that.

I make my gear but i invest a siginificant volume of my time to doing so and my $ to buy tools that are capable.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Yeah my plan is to build all but the frame. Only if I can make the frame work. One thing I have to do is learn the ins and outs of over load adjuster and frame adjustments

Try to get your hands on a good frame just to take a look at it. Find someone local enough on here that you can go look at theirs. It will shorten the learning curve immensely to have something to use as a template. Take a bunch of pics and measurements. Years ago i bought a used duplex frame. Eventually i developed patterns off of it and then built a copy cat of their ultralite frame. Now that duplex is my loaner frame.
91761628a1fdbfed900b8bb29717ddfe.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I plan on doing something similar, I have dismantled a decent rucksack for the straps and waistband and plan on doing an exo k3 Type just waiting on materials, I will use two carbon rods fitted to a kydex sheet to fit into the strap and waist section then make the separate pack so I can haul meat, regards Wayne

Ive been thinking about doing this pretty heavily after lusting after @LeanMachine 's builds on here and rokslide. I have been looking at the molle frames. They are very affordable.

I recently built a saddle pack out of a MOLLE II plastic frame with matching waist and shoulder straps. Just a cheap option to consider. The flat surface of the frame and all the attachment points is a DIY dream. I posted a thread showing pics on here.

Back