• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Improvement For Strap On Steps

WannaBMonkey

I will be using Ameristeps for my ROS and I have a couple Bullman Silent Approach steps that I may use as first two steps to get higher with my 8 WE Steps. It bothered me that Ameristeps and Silent Approach steps suffer from the same problem. Any sideways pressure makes them slide along the strap away from you when you step on. Neither have any traction on tree. So I added "cleats". On the Silent Approach steps, I cut short pieces of 3/16" rod, ground a rounded point on one end, and drilled slightly smaller holes ( not all the way through) that I press fit the "cleats" into with the rounded point sticking out about 3/8". One on each side near top of surface that contacts the tree and a third at bottom. On the Ameristeps, I did the same thing with one at the bottom. Then on the bottom corners of the square pad under strap slot, I drilled a hole through each corner and installed a short 3/16" round head screw with a similar rounded point ground on end. I put a nut on with loctite. When installed, the nut is on tree side with about 1/8" of screw sticking out (with rounded point). Just came back from trying them out. It made a huge difference! My DYI "cleats" kept my steps from sliding on the tree bark. Much more secure feeling. Takes a little tinkering in the shop, but the results are well worth it.

Ok I think I figured it out. Gonna give it a try. Not working. Says file is too large.

Tahdaaaaaaahhh! I figured it out. So here you go, photo evidence!
4ca936a91c8849628a86bc2f2d210169.jpg
af3a5567423e890fcf41850f8c3a980c.jpg
877d111e112e31e6c1ba656c0c3781d7.jpg
a18feb1004506d092caaf0af26c83ee2.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Clever!! I don't have these steps and have not been following information on them but that looks really nice!!!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'm a tinkerer at heart and I just knew there had to be a way to get these to stay put on the tree a little better. They still do no harm to the tree. Mostly, the "cleats" just find their way to the first crevice in the bark that they find and stay there. Much more stable.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

U can crop the photos to just the steps. That should resize it for u

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Thanks. Was trying to do it without Tapatalk. Once that was suggested, and I downloaded that, problem solved. As can be seen in post #13.

Back