• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY platform question

robertreed711

Hey all, I'm building a DIY platfrorm with a LW seat and a bunch of parts from DanO. I am waiting on the seat to come in but I have already drilled the post for the brackets and I am happy with their location.

What I'm not so sure about is where I should mount the seat on the post. My initial thought was to mount it essentially centered front to back and top to bottom but now I'm having 2nd thoughts. I'm thinking I should drill the hole closer to the shooter side of the post to allow more leveling adjustment since the tree will either be vertical or leaning away from the shooter there is not need to have adjustability in the other direction.

As for top to bottom positioning, right around center makes sense to me so that when you cam the platform over you're flexing the post evenly but I see some toward the extreme top and extreme bottom of the post so maybe my logic is misguided on this.

Any input? Am I overthinking it?

I`ve built a few platforms and I can tell you this is a critical point in your build. If you plan on camming it down then even more so. Take your time and plan on more holes to drill . I think you might be mounting this lower on the post than you think. Predator1.jpg

I`ve built a few platforms and I can tell you this is a critical point in your build. If you plan on camming it down then even more so. Take your time and plan on more holes to drill . I think you might be mounting this lower on the post than you think. View attachment 15720

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the platform location would be different in the predator and the designs in your video because they are using a versa button. Furthermore, the predator has teeth that bit into the tree and cam the platform at the same time.

My platform will be more like the image below, just a strap connected to the platform and used to cam it in place.

***Pic stolen from SHWACKER***
901a7918b5c2d5f44990562f9bdc6799.jpg

I am planning something like this as well and was wondering the same thing. I was going to make it like @shwacker with the platform cam supplying the horizontal force. I was going to use 1/16" aluminum square tubing wrapped with 1/16" aluminum angle.

Post it up when done. It’s a lot of pressure so not sure about the 1/16, but maybe since it’s wrapped it’ll be fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was thinking of trying center of a 9 inch post in both directions, top to bottom and front to back.

Done minus paint and the end caps for the tube. I ended up drilling the hole above center so that the top of the platform itself is centered.

One recommendation I would make is to check where the top stand off nut/bolt are going to line up with the platform before drilling your hole. I got lucky and it just barely clears.

Last edited:
Done minus paint and the end caps for the tube. I ended up drilling the hole above center so that the top of the platform itself is centered.

One recommendation I would make is to check where the top stand off nut/bolt are going to line up with the platform before drilling your hole. I got lucky and it just barely clears.

Great build and wow that view is outstanding.

Back