• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY platform rigging

SecretAgentMan

So, I’m a new guy. I’ve gotten most of my gear on order but not a platform. I wanted to see if I could DIY it up from an old, cheap lock-on seat. I found a thread on here where a guy had done so with an old Ameristep. I moved the seat on the post and cut it down, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to rig the Amsteel to get it lock onto the tree. Any suggestions or am I just never going to get it to work with what I’ve got? I’ve still got the ratchet strap, but it’s a cheap and I’d rather use this 1/4 Amsteel if possible. I may need a better cleat and add a second one higher up the post Suggestions?

Attachments

• A20C4842-7707-4305-A5F7-C15DB92A63F3.jpeg
    A20C4842-7707-4305-A5F7-C15DB92A63F3.jpeg
    189.7 KB · Views: 109
  • 8DCB1705-F18D-47AD-B4DE-97A7733A4E76.jpeg
    8DCB1705-F18D-47AD-B4DE-97A7733A4E76.jpeg
    183.8 KB · Views: 110
  • 5D16C526-0A09-422F-908B-C12BD8648827.jpeg
    5D16C526-0A09-422F-908B-C12BD8648827.jpeg
    94.2 KB · Views: 108
So, I’m a new guy. I’ve gotten most of my gear on order but not a platform. I wanted to see if I could DIY it up from an old, cheap lock-on seat. I found a thread on here where a guy had done so with an old Ameristep. I moved the seat on the post and cut it down, but I can’t for the life of me figure out how to rig the Amsteel to get it lock onto the tree. Any suggestions or am I just never going to get it to work with what I’ve got? I’ve still got the ratchet strap, but it’s a cheap and I’d rather use this 1/4 Amsteel if possible. I may need a better cleat and add a second one higher up the post Suggestions?
Is that a whoopee sling? Since the platform is on top of the posts, You'll struggle to get it to cam over because the pressure will unseat the bottom standoff. But you're correct, a 2nd standoff above the seat would help.

Is that a whoopee sling? Since the platform is on top of the posts, You'll struggle to get it to cam over because the pressure will unseat the bottom standoff. But you're correct, a 2nd standoff above the seat would help.

Not a whoopie. For now, it’s just a locked Brummell loop on one end and unfinished on the other end.

2nd standoff is needed if you want to cam into place
55508d638d34b4062c1aee3aa425de62.jpg

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

[/QUOTE
I guess I could just drill new holes above the cross member and remount, flipping the seat over.

I’m thinking of abandoning this altogether. The seat is from a cheap game gear lock on from years past, and it’s not very large diameter tubing and the welds look like I tried to tack it together .

no the rope is run through the platform, I have a dogbone going through platform then a daisy chain around the tree then a caribeener back into the dogbone, daisy chain, dogbones and caribeaners are so simple, by adding or subtracting dogbones I can go from an 8" tree to an 8' tree

no the rope is run through the platform, I have a dogbone going through platform then a daisy chain around the tree then a caribeener back into the dogbone, daisy chain, dogbones and caribeaners are so simple, by adding or subtracting dogbones I can go from an 8" tree to an 8' tree
I see now. Thanks for the info.

Does anyone notice their diy platforms making any noise when moving around on them? Seems like the DIY option would have that limitation.

Back