• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy predator platform

LeanMachine

I used the predator pics and dimensions for a starting point and went from there. Main construction is 1/2" tubing. Used some 1x1/8 flat stock for the hinge and teeth. I planned an aluminum post but could not find any material locally that would work. I used a piece of 14 gauge 1 inch steel that i already had instead. Excessively heavy. Just that piece of tubing weighs 1 pound. My versa button ended up adjustable unintentionally. I welded a nut on back side and the bolt can just be screwed in or out. Im not sure if that is of any value or not but it kept me from needing to know what the spacing should be. I just need to pick up some rope for it now.

I bought 40 feet of 1/2" square tubing from a local steel yard for $18. I built a stepp ladder system and this platform with that and still have about 6 or 8 feet left. And that was with several feet of waste when figuring out how to bend the steps. So sub $20 for a climbing system and platform.

Finished weight is 4 lbs 10 oz. I figure it would be sub 4 with an aluminum post.
8f6468bff07f03659869f9fc04207b77.jpg
4f34b7e1a7a02b56d0b92b110dbdef1d.jpg
06feef4f48260f90fdbe1d2d4d95c9e9.jpg
3dceba2e1fa4c46b6610e1db5fc0c67a.jpg
01b4ba36871719df4ba7d9c4f9c73bdf.jpg
f33212cc6a3d80a1129c5bfb06c38d05.jpg
6f77de9a899d7a73f2ca5effdf8152b9.jpg
df4c389c5ff076f57c6334511174bfb8.jpg
efb61962cfa28dd9940cb118d2e8f725.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

nice job, I've built all my platforms as well, and they work fine. Go kill something off it!!!!!

Great job. Looks like it's time for me to clean up my workbench and pull the welder back out.

Great job. Looks like it's time for me to clean up my workbench and pull the welder back out.
Are you on rokslide? John B real name maybe? Im woodbow over there. Did the frame build like yours.

Are you on rokslide? John B real name maybe? Im woodbow over there. Did the frame build like yours.

Yup. That’s me.

Too many projects... not enough time. About time I build a saddle specific pack bag too.

Yup. That’s me.

Too many projects... not enough time. About time I build a saddle specific pack bag too.
Im about to design one soon. You make a saddle or buy one? You can see the one i built around here somewhere. Very easy build when you are used to making packs and frames and such.

Running a kestrel right now. Got a design in my head. Just not enough time to build it when I have a perfectly good saddle sitting there. Gonna pm you some thoughts.

Platform looks great! But what are the specs on that yellow rope? I'd upgrade to amsteel blue.

Platform looks great! But what are the specs on that yellow rope? I'd upgrade to amsteel blue.
It has a 210 working load rating. Im aware that is toeing the line. However i believe the greatest load on the rope is when you cam the step over. The step is designed so that it transfer a considerable portion of your weight into the tree rather than the rope. Steps and stands are not PPE. That being said i still have no desire have a strap rope break. Yes i will probably get some amsteel. This was mainly so i could play around with it immediately and it was $4.

Yes, please upgrade ASAP! There is considerable force through the cam affect so its only a short matter of time before that breaks on you. We need you around here with some more great DIY projects!

What size amsteel is commonly used? That crap aint cheap in anything 1/4 or bigger. I saw 1/8 has like 1800 lb rating. Does the small diameter cause problems?

Nope, not cheap. 1/4" is most common I believe. Some use 5/16".

Looks great! I think l’ll be making some sparks soon too!

Did you use a jig for bending the steps or just do it by eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks great! I think l’ll be making some sparks soon too!

Did you use a jig for bending the steps or just do it by eye?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I used the compact bender from harbor freight. If you utilize a stop, you can get very consistent results. There was definitely a learning curve to it. I would just bend, measure angle, bend more, measure etc until i found where stop needed to be. Figuring out how much uptake it needed was the biggest problem since i had precut them to length already.

What size amsteel is commonly used? That crap aint cheap in anything 1/4 or bigger. I saw 1/8 has like 1800 lb rating. Does the small diameter cause problems?

You don’t need to use amsteel. Lots of other ropes with a higher rating cheaper.

Back