• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Saddle/Gun Rest

I like to shoot from a rest and carry a tripod all the time, but where to put it in a saddle?? Came up w/ this little gem. Just a pc of paracord and a small pruisic. Perfect for saddle or stand or on the ground beside a tree.View attachment 87931
How would you address a shot on the other side of the tree? Perhaps an open hook (something like one of those extra large s-biners) suspended from either side of that tether instead of the enclosed loop? Thinking you'd be able to remove the rifle for a shot on the other side by just lifting it out of the one hook and then setting it back down into the other.

Another idea would be to take the rifle out of the loop altogether. Instead, run your support hand wrist through the loop and allow your hand to cradle the rifle as usual. Think this would provide a steadying effect much like the rifle inside the loop but you'd be able to easily remove your support hand from the loop and then reinsert if you needed to transition to the other side of the tree.

Another idea would be to take the rifle out of the loop altogether. Instead, run your support hand wrist through the loop and allow your hand to cradle the rifle as usual. Think this would provide a steadying effect much like the rifle inside the loop but you'd be able to easily remove your support hand from the loop and then reinsert if you needed to transition to the other side of the tree.
I don't leave the firearm hanging in the loop. Simply slide loop around the tree before slipping rifle into it. I'm also hunting crop field edges so it's pretty much a gimme where they are approaching from.

I like to shoot from a rest and carry a tripod all the time, but where to put it in a saddle?? Came up w/ this little gem. Just a pc of paracord and a small pruisic. Perfect for saddle or stand or on the ground beside a tree.View attachment 87931

I use an EZ Hanger in the same scenario.

8a86ff0589dd008128ecebe4106a5164.jpg

265579409664ee99604e776e677ecd8c.jpg

I don't leave the firearm hanging in the loop. Simply slide loop around the tree before slipping rifle into it. I'm also hunting crop field edges so it's pretty much a gimme where they are approaching from.
Right on. Yep. In that case looks like you got the perfect sling. Love it!

Interesting. I've practiced resting my elbow on my bridge, and bracing against the trunk. I think I'd want something a bit more flexible than this, but it would work great if you've got the deer patterned and know where they're going to be.

Back