• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY sewn webbing strength

Squirrels

I have an industrial machine. I’m using T90 mil spec thread, 4000lb breaking strength mil spec 1” tubular webbing. Following direction of On Rope: North American Vertical Rope Techniques for stitching patterns and specs.

Here are a couple videos of lifting some motors with what I made. You decide for yourself if it passes the test.

Not a stitch out of place after all 3 lifts.

This one was 3200lb

This one was 4200lb

Here is how they were arranged for lifting. Webbing laid over the forks for the first 2 videos ("V basket style")
b310f3966768acb861cff5900dff51e6.jpg

This one was 4200lb with a striaght vertical lift, webbing failed before stitching or carabiners did.

4125c0cec10ca46258483eda75f5406a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have an industrial machine. I’m using T90 mil spec thread, 4000lb breaking strength mil spec 1” tubular webbing. Following direction of On Rope: North American Vertical Rope Techniques for stitching patterns and specs.

Here are a couple videos of lifting some motors with what I made. You decide for yourself if it passes the test.

Not a stitch out of place after either test.

This one was 3200lb

This one was 4200lb

Here is how they were arranged for lifting. Webbing laid over the forks.

6005f5bb97a8559d7e0c7fe14631ede9.jpg

Hey man where do you work?
My company sells industrial electric motors, VFD's, and gearboxes.

ESR Motor Systems.

Length of stitched area and pattern please?

I like where this is going. I'd be quite interested in buying a quality, sewn bridge and tether.

I do have one question though, isn't each stitched section only holding half of the motors weight in this application?
I'm not an engineer or physics guru but i think you are correct here.

This is awesome. I have sewn my own tubular webbing aiders using info from On Rope but I don’t have the equipment to put them through that kind of test though! I know they’re really damn strong but can’t quantify it like you did - that’s great.

I'd suggest refrerring to the "On Rope" book about stitch patterns. That is what I used as a rference and guide.

So I gotta buy a book to know what stitch pattern you used and over how many inches?...

So I gotta buy a book to know what stitch pattern you used and over how many inches?...

I don't want to misquote it. You can find pictures of the pages from the book in the Kestrel Clone DIY thread on one of the many pages.

Back