• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy Sit drag dimensions

pilgrimhunter

Hi guys. I am new here. Over the last year or so I read little snatches over on archery talk about saddle hunting. I perked my interest especially the idea of a minimalist saddle approach. Thus us something I am really wanting to try.

I am a guy that likes to try diy projects. I am really looking at building a sit drag style saddle out of some materials I have on hand. I was wondering if someone could give me dimensions of their sit drag? Also if you were making one yourself would you do anything different in regards to dimension? I figured yall might could help save me some time since you have experience.

And I am planning on using an rc harness in conjunction atleast til I feel completely comfortable.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

After owning the sit drag for a short time I enjoy it so far. If I were to decide to make my own minimalist saddle I would use 4" wide truck tie down straps. They would have to be dyed but two runs of it would be wider than the sit drag. The only problem with them would be making the loops on the end. A little imagination should make that fairly easy to come up with. Of course the fact that I have access to free ones helps also. There isn't much I would say needs to be changed to the sit drag itself. The tether, bridge, and carabiners should be removed but it is a blank canvas to customize as one sees fit. I wouldn't buy the stuff to try to replicate it because they are fairly inexpensive. You will have way more in your tether, rock harness, carabiners etc than you will have invested in the sit drag. All of those items are inexpensive but they add up in a hurry. As far as dimensions I can measure mine later but if building one make it to fit you. Basically you want it to wrap around your rear and at least to the front of your hips. If you think you want to use it as a lineman belt you want to have the flat part stop and the loops start at the front of your hips. If you will only be using it at height you would benefit from it going past your hips before the loops start so you can turn a lot more before the bridge is what your resting on. You don't have to integrate a belt but I think almost everyone would be happier if they did. It really is a pain to take your weight off to adjust your tether only to have the sling fall to the back of your knees. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there but it probably happens to everyone else at least once. I can only imagine adjusting my tether to reposition for a shot and be stuck in an awkward position while watching an animal walk off.

After owning the sit drag for a short time I enjoy it so far. If I were to decide to make my own minimalist saddle I would use 4" wide truck tie down straps. They would have to be dyed but two runs of it would be wider than the sit drag. The only problem with them would be making the loops on the end. A little imagination should make that fairly easy to come up with. Of course the fact that I have access to free ones helps also. There isn't much I would say needs to be changed to the sit drag itself. The tether, bridge, and carabiners should be removed but it is a blank canvas to customize as one sees fit. I wouldn't buy the stuff to try to replicate it because they are fairly inexpensive. You will have way more in your tether, rock harness, carabiners etc than you will have invested in the sit drag. All of those items are inexpensive but they add up in a hurry. As far as dimensions I can measure mine later but if building one make it to fit you. Basically you want it to wrap around your rear and at least to the front of your hips. If you think you want to use it as a lineman belt you want to have the flat part stop and the loops start at the front of your hips. If you will only be using it at height you would benefit from it going past your hips before the loops start so you can turn a lot more before the bridge is what your resting on. You don't have to integrate a belt but I think almost everyone would be happier if they did. It really is a pain to take your weight off to adjust your tether only to have the sling fall to the back of your knees. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong there but it probably happens to everyone else at least once. I can only imagine adjusting my tether to reposition for a shot and be stuck in an awkward position while watching an animal walk off.
Thanks for the reply. I would like to have the measurements. I do have straps robbed from a treestand harness and and the fabric already so I am just experimenting and playing. Maybe I should just go buy a sit drag but I figured if I had the material why not. Also have a few spare tree ropes to use for bridge and tree straps.

Do any of you sit drag users wish for a wider seat or would that not really increase comfort?

Do any of you sit drag users wish for a wider seat or would that not really increase comfort?
My biggest problem with the sit and drag is that I don't think the seat is wide enough, and that is why I can't get comfortable in it.

Ive used one once so far and saw no need for a wider seat. It was plenty comfortable leaning into on a platform.

Sitdrag is roughly a 6.5' long piece of 2" webbing with its ends sewn together to form a sling/runner. Then a 8"x 28" rectangle of fabric sewn into the middle of the webbing sling leaving end loops

If I was going to make my own only thing I would do differently is the webbing end connection. Sitdrags seem to have a single stitch holding that webbing together. I would overlap and box stitch or bar tack, whichever of those is more suited for this.

IMG_0933_zpsqyrn8ov1.jpg

Red I actually ordered two for that very reason. I haven't tried it with both of them yet. I've been pretty comfortable using one but haven't hunted in it. It's tough to try to sit in a tree in the yard more than about an hour regardless of how comfortable you are. I think it's plenty big for those that categorize themselves as learners.

Red I actually ordered two for that very reason. I haven't tried it with both of them yet. I've been pretty comfortable using one but haven't hunted in it. It's tough to try to sit in a tree in the yard more than about an hour regardless of how comfortable you are. I think it's plenty big for those that categorize themselves as learners.
It may work well.

I have an anderson sling that I modified which I like much better than the sit and drag. I like it better because it has the two sections that I can move around to where I need them. When I'm in the sit and drag I fell like its just not where I need it to be. I never pursued trying 2 since I have the anderson sling.

And I'm a sitter so I think that is the biggest reason.

Back