• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Diy steel platform sub 3 #s

LeanMachine

Austin1990 recently posted an aluminum hex platform that i liked a lot. The hex shape is just a lot sexier than the mostly rectangular platform i built last year.

So i more or less copied his and designed and built one entirely out of 1/2" steel tubing. It is roughly 12"x12". I designed it with one more brace going across the width of it but it seems to be unwarranted. I honestly did not think the hinge portion would hold up to body weight. The bolt is only 1/4" and it doesnt leave a lot of meat in the wall of 1/2" tubing when you drill a 1/4" hole in it. However, it takes my 185# body weight like a champ. If i were to improve one area it would be to beef that joint up though. I played with it using a ratchet strap, because thats what i had laying around, and it does want to pull away from the tree ever so slightly. Not enough to cause a problem but enough to give it that spongy feel. I think i will build one using the tubing bender, now that i have a proof of concept, and add hooks to the sides to make it so that i can cam it over onto the tree. That is what gave me best results with my other platform. Then i think i could just use a whoopie sling or a buckle-less strap like carl makes.

Finished weight is 2 lbs 11 ozs.

The packed down profile is just silly.

Maybe this will give yall some ideas to think on. Feel free to share thoughts on how i can improve it.
7ffa86cb126b4e894759f3dc3bac51cf.jpg
ab710a687e2458fef934c1a56139f2c4.jpg
e7bd2d0444149256c674487d593ad804.jpg
9e5a0b89786461743ee2d40ddcff9850.jpg
c28a3411718936ef5de8ae3855c0ded4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks nice. Could you add small cleats to the back or outside rods? Would that make it work to cam it down with the platform? May be better to use a strap like you were thinking.

Looks nice. Could you add small cleats to the back or outside rods? Would that make it work to cam it down with the platform? May be better to use a strap like you were thinking.
What i did on my other one is just weld about an inch long piece of tubing at about a 45 coming off eacg side. That worked well. Does make it a little more snaggy going in and out of a pack though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks good man! I had thought about using 1/2" inch tubing but I already had the aluminum so that's what I used. Good to know it'll work though! 12 inches is how wide I made mine. Here in a few weeks I'll have a new version of mine made, should be quicker and easier than the last one. I really like the hex shape

Back