• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Swing Saddle

bioguy

As some of you know I'm selling my Evo saddle...not by choice but because I was put into a tough spot financially. I haven't given up on saddle hunting, I just needed a cheaper alternative. Thanks to all of the great information on here I was able to pull together some items and make a remarkably simple swing saddle for super cheap. I did need to spend $3.74 on a pressure treated board at Home Depot, but everything else I already had on hand.

I tried it in the back yard this afternoon at ground level, and it seemed to work great and was fairly! I plan on adding a seat cushion, and I need to get some knee pads, but it looks like I'm back in business! When it is all set up, I can connect the safety harness to my tree strap adding an additional safety measure. I added a second prussic to my tree strap so I can attach my swing seat strap to the high prussic and my safety harness to the low prussic so everything stays out of my way when I draw my bow. I welcome any comments or critiques. Safety is my top concern so if anyone sees anything that may be a safety concern with this set-up please speak up. Thanks!

Attachments

• photo 2 (5).JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 536
  • photo 3 (5).JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 509
  • photo 2 (4).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 493
  • photo 3 (3).JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 508
That's what I'm talking about!
Mine is a piece of plywood and is fairly close to the same thing as your seat.
I sewed a dedicated lineman's belt, but other than that, we have very similar saddles.

If you flip your board around and sit on the other side you'll gain about 3" or so more room on your seat, assuming that your slots are cut 1.5" away from the edge. I use mine in this fashion and it is simply a piece of 1/2" plywood. If the ends were to break, I'd still be held up by the webbing. My hunt would probably be over, but I'd survive to hunt another day.

Regarding safety, I doubt that you 'need' the safety harness, but it probably doesn't hurt. I don't wear one, but again, I am completely confident in the knots that I use and the components of my seat as they are all climbing-grade components. If you are asking if you need the harness, it is a sign that you want to wear it and being safety conscious is never a bad idea.

Just some ramblings...

I forgot to add, you can try the PVC extension that I use to keep from needing knee pads.
On the underside of my seat I screwed a 90* 'T' connector flush with the edge. When I get to hunting height in the tree that I am hunting I pull out a length of PVC pipe and insert it in the 'T'. It keeps me away from the tree in the same fashion as the GW's aluminum fork does, but it is removable and easy to transport. A 12" length should work fine; mine is 3/4" PVC and it doesn't flex at all.

Scott F said:
I forgot to add, you can try the PVC extension that I use to keep from needing knee pads.
On the underside of my seat I screwed a 90* 'T' connector flush with the edge. When I get to hunting height in the tree that I am hunting I pull out a length of PVC pipe and insert it in the 'T'. It keeps me away from the tree in the same fashion as the GW's aluminum fork does, but it is removable and easy to transport. A 12" length should work fine; mine is 3/4" PVC and it doesn't flex at all.

I might just try that! Thanks for the tip.

Scott F said:

Perfect. I have a friend who is close to making the leap. He was talking about more of a sling than the Guido's Web but didn't want to ride with his knees on the tree. So he was asking me about how a PVC extension could keep you off the tree. He would love this whole thread.

Can you post pics of how you are connecting and using that PVC? And I assume then you just ride with feet on platform?

Got my first sit in tonight with the swing saddle. It worked perfect. I do need to either get knee pads or set it up with some sort of support bar. It was really light weight and easy to carry in. I'm looking forward to my next sit.

Glad it worked well. I think you've got the right idea to use it in conjunction with a safety harness. Not using one is playing roulette with Murphy :)

brydan said:
Glad it worked well. I think you've got the right idea to use it in conjunction with a safety harness. Not using one is playing roulette with Murphy :)

Agreed!

Back