• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY treesuit platform

austin1990

SH Member
I took the measurements @Nutterbuster posted to make this. Cut out the pieces yesterday on break at work and welded them up today on break. Pretty small but will work I think! If I get a chance I'll try it out tonight when I get home. I hit it damn near spot on, the same depth as nutters but mines 1/2" wider. Also idk why It loaded the pics sideways20190327_152937.jpeg20190327_152923.jpeg20190327_152930.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

When you've been welding for 10 years like I have you get pretty fast lol I don't know how long I studied your pics to come up with measurements and angles but probably 30-45 minutes. Took 15 minutes to cut everything and 30 minutes to weld it all together. Put it on a light pole in the yard and she's rock solid and plenty big enough to pivot and shoot 360 degrees. Probably will make a few for presets 20190327_210738.jpeg20190327_210918.jpeg20190327_211159.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Nice job, looks awesome. What'd the weight come in at for ya?
I didn't weigh it yet but I will tonight. Actually thinking about building another with some 1/2" weight reduction holes and see how much it varies...

I didn't weigh it yet but I will tonight. Actually thinking about building another with some 1/2" weight reduction holes and see how much it varies...
I doubt it will be a meaningful difference. The weight difference in drilling aluminum sticks is very small.

Crazy how sturdy that thing is on a tree, right?

I doubt it will be a meaningful difference. The weight difference in drilling aluminum sticks is very small.

Crazy how sturdy that thing is on a tree, right?
Most stocks are 24" and you'll gain 2 ounces or so by drilling. Being steel it will gain a little more than a stick, also there's 26" of steel tube and 14" of flat bar there so if can get 6-8 ounces off itll make a difference but I don't know that ya could get that much off. I just like building stuff so I'll give it a shot lol. It was stupid solid, I was very surprised

Most stocks are 24" and you'll gain 2 ounces or so by drilling. Being steel it will gain a little more than a stick, also there's 26" of steel tube and 14" of flat bar there so if can get 6-8 ounces off itll make a difference but I don't know that ya could get that much off. I just like building stuff so I'll give it a shot lol. It was stupid solid, I was very surprised
Yeah, they're actually pretty well design3d. Super solid.

Give it a whirl. I think you'd be better off trimming an inch or two off of each bottom leg though. I feel like mine could stand to be shorter without impacting stability. Easier for sure.

But I'm lazy. ;)

Give it a whirl. I think you'd be better off trimming an inch or two off of each bottom leg though. I feel like mine could stand to be shorter without impacting stability. Easier for sure.

But I'm lazy. ;)
An inch or maybe even two off the legs would help a lot, I considered that too. I'll do some more figuring in a few days and see what I can come up with

An inch or maybe even two off the legs would help a lot, I considered that too. I'll do some more figuring in a few days and see what I can come up with
Interested in what you come up with. The predator is 3.44lbs (55oz according to their site) after they beefed it up. I think my treesuit was 3.75 with the strap on? Given that the treesuit platform is easier to setup, steadier, and the angles handle side pressure better, I think it's a very relevant design.

With the right aluminum it would be stupid light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My only thought on that is that the platform has no braces to support it. I wonder how well it would hold up since all the stress is on the welds.

It's a pretty bare-bones design. But aluminum would be very light if it worked.

My only thought on that is that the platform has no braces to support it. I wonder how well it would hold up since all the stress is on the welds.

It's a pretty bare-bones design. But aluminum would be very light if it worked.
Yeah it'd be hard on them welds, would definitely have to add a angled brace to relieve that stress and spread it out. Do have an idea on another way to do it without the legs welded and allow leveling adjustment. I see lots of tinkering in the future weeks ahead..

Yeah it'd be hard on them welds, would definitely have to add a angled brace to relieve that stress and spread it out. Do have an idea on another way to do it without the legs welded and allow leveling adjustment. I see lots of tinkering in the future weeks ahead..
Glad to hear you're running with it. I was really surprised with how much I liked the little thing.

For the weight difference I imagine you could throw some angled braces under it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back