• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Trophy Mounts

Bigburner

with not having a lot of extra cash laying around for professional mounts I came up with some nice displays for my diy Euro's and turkey fans. If anyone wants a copy of the templates for the arrowheads for either I would be happy to get one to you.
Here is my 8 bearded Tom from 2 years ago

A couple bucks one from 3 years ago and the six from 2 years ago and the mounting plaque.

Before I got savy with boiling my skulls and using peroxide I would cover the antlers with trash bags and bury them for a long time so they would come out in various forms and I would loose a lot of bone. So these skulls are in various states but I found a fallen cedar tree and some barb wire on an old home site and put these together from some old bow kills

Cheers hope you like them.

Those are some great looking DIY mounts! That turkey with 8 beards is crazy! I have never seen anything like it.

Those are some interesting racks! It looks like they have a lot of the same genetics! The arrowhead mounting plates are really cool. They definitely add a nice touch to the mount.

Where are you at in Delaware? My in laws have a place in Selbyville and my parents are talking about moving down there too. I see that Redden State Forest isn't too far from there.

Here are a couple pics of some of my DIY mounts. I really like the European mount and will definitely continue to mix that in with the standard plaques. I also boiled and used peroxide. I find that the sooner you can start boiling it after you kill it the easier the job is.

13135067154_0756521c45.jpg

13134783415_8759ff3532.jpg

All are saddle kills except the 6 pointer on the left in the photo with the 3 mounts, that was my first archery buck.

I live in Milton just a little north of Lewes and Rehoboth. My office @ Redden is Georgetown about 25-30 minutes north of Selbyville. We have tons of North Jersey retirees. Can't blame them with no sales tax and nothing for property tax. Sounds like some scheming going on for a non-resident DE license. Can't lie its nice ground. We got kicked in the ass with EHD in 2012 but I put 8500 acres of Redden in Quality buck only so you can't kill a buck in those areas unless it has a 15" outside spread. I didn't kill a buck this year but I had some encounters with some great up in comers. It gets zero pressure until the October muzzle loader and shotgun doesn't come in until the 3rd week in Nov. The deer densities are low but in a couple more years it should pan out pretty well. It's a tough place to hunt b/c its flatter than a pancake and pretty homogeneous in cover so transitions in cover are something to key in on. I've barely scratched the surface on that place.I could hunt 40 different spots a year never the same place twice for the next 20 years and still not cover all the places I want to hunt

I know a lot of people that are talking about retiring down there for those exact reasons. I reminded my father that if he is going to move it better be a situation similar to the 1500 bow only acres and 4000 WMA acres that are 5 minutes from his house!

That sucks that EHD got to you guys. I heard of only a few cases in NJ but never anywhere near me. With quality buck only it sounds like you're gonna have some real nice ones the next couple years despite the lower deer numbers. A lot of places around us get little pressure during bow season as well. At least little pressure if you travel more than a few hundred yards from the parking lots and roads...

I know exactly what you are talking about with hunting the flatlands. I grew up hunting just outside the pines in central jersey. Thick, swampy and flat. My father always said to get in the thickest stuff you can find. That is awesome that you have access to that much land! And it sounds like it is land that you can become very familiar with! I'm good friends with the supervisor of the county park near my dad which allows bow hunting. Not only does he get to hunt where he works, but because he is always there, he is always scouting!

My Dad grew up bow hunting with my Grandfather in Wharton State Forest. They lived in Pennsville and my Grandfather started the Obissquasoit Archery club in Alloway back in the 50's. My Dads told me some cool stories about hunting in the pine barrens. One I remember in particular was my Grampa took a shot at abuck in the evening and he couldn't find blood or the arrow but he was sure he hit it. They came back the next day and after a long track they found the buck without a mark on it but a nock was sticking out its a-hole. I guess when he released the buck jumped the string and the arrow went straight up the poop chute :lol:

Funny story!

My father and grandfather grew up hunting just a little north of there in what was lebanon state forest (now brendan t byrne state forest), but I believe they would occasionally go down by wharton as well. Back then deer were scarce in that area and any deer was a true trophy, they did not get many. I think my grandfather only shot 2 deer his entire life!

The pines are tricky terrain too. I've heard many stories about people getting lost. It is very easy to get turned around in there!

Very creative and unique. Also some very awesome public land bucks, congratulations.

Those are some great looking DIY mounts! That turkey with 8 beards is crazy! I have never seen anything like it.

Those are some interesting racks! It looks like they have a lot of the same genetics! The arrowhead mounting plates are really cool. They definitely add a nice touch to the mount.

Where are you at in Delaware? My in laws have a place in Selbyville and my parents are talking about moving down there too. I see that Redden State Forest isn't too far from there.

Here are a couple pics of some of my DIY mounts. I really like the European mount and will definitely continue to mix that in with the standard plaques. I also boiled and used peroxide. I find that the sooner you can start boiling it after you kill it the easier the job is.

13135067154_0756521c45.jpg

13134783415_8759ff3532.jpg

All are saddle kills except the 6 pointer on the left in the photo with the 3 mounts, that was my first archery buck.

Hey @redsquirrel (or any other input) I hope this thread isn't past it's sell-by date, but what materials did you use for that Euro hanger?

I spent an hour walking around Lowe's last weekend brainstorming a cheaper DIY option than the skullhooker and struck out. This looks awesome and I am not above copying a good design whatsoever.

Hey @redsquirrel (or any other input) I hope this thread isn't past it's sell-by date, but what materials did you use for that Euro hanger?

I spent an hour walking around Lowe's last weekend brainstorming a cheaper DIY option than the skullhooker and struck out. This looks awesome and I am not above copying a good design whatsoever.
Those were a couple kits I bought about 10 years ago. I remember they were way more expensive than I thought they should be! And get this. When I had all that work done in my basement last spring they had to rip out all the walls to get to the cinderblocks. Yup.. you guessed it.. the mounts got tossed without me knowing it. I'm planning to design up some replacements to print on my 3D printer. If you can find a way to copy the hook I could send you a couple bases when I get to it.

I did buy a few of the skullhooker prongs for $4.99 each. That means they want $30 for the wall/bracket piece and I thought I could DIY something cheaper.

I picked up a shelving bracket that has some potential I just need some sort of hardware to connect the bracket the prong that would remain relatively inconspicuous.

I'm not looking to go too fancy or take on much of a project either. I have some longer term plans to build a sort of elaborate display on my mantle. Shorter term I just want to get them up out of my way as I currently they are just sitting on my workbench taking up too much space.

I did buy a few of the skullhooker prongs for $4.99 each. That means they want $30 for the wall/bracket piece and I thought I could DIY something cheaper.

I picked up a shelving bracket that has some potential I just need some sort of hardware to connect the bracket the prong that would remain relatively inconspicuous.

I'm not looking to go too fancy or take on much of a project either. I have some longer term plans to build a sort of elaborate display on my mantle. Shorter term I just want to get them up out of my way as I currently they are just sitting on my workbench taking up too much space.

These might not be what your looking for but, I've been using hangers like this:

Cheap, simple and hold well. I have some screwed directly to the wall and some to boards like these.

Screenshot_20200109-211325.png

Last edited:
I have done a few of my own euro trophies. Did all of my turkey fans no pictures of those on my phone. But do have pics of euros I have done.View attachment 23247

Attachments

• 94463C61-8788-4676-A1B3-4D5F9E568609.jpeg
    94463C61-8788-4676-A1B3-4D5F9E568609.jpeg
    202.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 40A46A4D-7AF8-49F9-AB2C-29775526E522.jpeg
    40A46A4D-7AF8-49F9-AB2C-29775526E522.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 597235B8-EE83-41F0-A1C3-0F41E3A8749E.jpeg
    597235B8-EE83-41F0-A1C3-0F41E3A8749E.jpeg
    85.8 KB · Views: 28
  • 8BBE6C10-ED8E-476B-A4A9-36B5A1B4B069.jpeg
    8BBE6C10-ED8E-476B-A4A9-36B5A1B4B069.jpeg