• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY ultralight gear pouch made of sea to summit mesh sack, desc. after pics

I'm really impressed with Sea to Summit gear. These mesh sacks are extremely tough for being relatively cheap and mesh. I used a small size before as a dump pouch to carry silent approach steps and just sewed a loop on for my side.

The picture above is of a medium size (9 liters).

These weigh next to nothing. They also make an even lighter ultramesh sack, but I was afraid it wouldn't be as durable.

I first dyed the top of the thing black because it comes in baby blue. Then I cut another mesh sack and made an internal divider and sewed that in. I tried using it without the divider but everything just fell to the bottom and got mixed up. That isn't too bad with mesh because you can see what you are digging for. Of course this thing is the opposite of water proof, but anything I can't get wet goes in a little dry bag or something/somewhere else. You can see divider in the second pic. I almost just used a Walmart mesh laundry bag for the divider (doesn't need to be as durable inside) but said screw it and just wasted a Sea to Summit (because YOLO).

I then sewed at 4 corners an osprey ultralight pouch (size medium which is 3 liters) which is water resistant and where I keep flashlight, batteries, etc.

Lastly, I sewed paracord loops at 4 corners to lash this down but might put two more at mid positions.

Total weight is 3.1 ounces and I get 12 liters of storage that is a tube shape, which is what I wanted.

I have another mesh sack that is the same size but ONLY has the paracord loops. I put my ropes, harness, aider, haul rope, and accessory hanger in it because I use that right at the tree. I then tie the modified sack with all my other stuff to my bow and pull both up.

I built this end of season and ran it 3 times and loved it. I EASILY fit: 20 ounces of water, 2 cookies, 2 flashlights, batteries, tree saw, hot hands body warmers, and TP. I used less than half my space with those items and could easily add grunt tube, range finder, small survival kit, etc. They make smaller sizes in both the mesh sack and the osprey zipper front pocket if you want to go smaller/lighter.

Last edited:
Back