• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DIY Utilibridge

View attachment 23356
Just put together my copy of the Utilibridge on a fleece saddle. I decided to girth bitch both ends so that I can take it on and off. I also used 1/4 inch amsteel for everything because it’s all I had. Works good so far! Easy to diy.

Interesting. What size did your continuous loop for the prussic come out to? Do you think it's too long/short or the right length?

Interesting. What size did your continuous loop for the prussic come out to? Do you think it's too long/short or the right length?
The continuous loop is probably closer to 2 feet around. It’s too long honestly, but I wanted to be able to girth hitch it to remove it.

The continuous loop is probably closer to 2 feet around. It’s too long honestly, but I wanted to be able to girth hitch it to remove it.

It looked a little long to me too but it's hard to gauge from the picture. I like the idea of girth hitching both sides to the saddle so they stay in place on the bridge loops. Thanks for sharing.

lol girth bitch, but did you use amsteel for both the bridge and prusik?
Lol fixed it. Autocorrect does the craziest things. Yes I used 1/4 amsteel for both. It was an old Whoopie sling I had as a bridge and hated. This is much better.

I was thinking about making one up with 1/4 for both as well but thought wonder why Tethrd didn't do it this way. Maybe something they caught during testing?

I was thinking about making one up with 1/4 for both as well but thought wonder why Tethrd didn't do it this way. Maybe something they caught during testing?
Idk I wish I had some other sizes of amsteel on hand to test. I don’t think it would be any better with a smaller size. I think it would bite way too hard, it’s hard to move already.

Idk I wish I had some other sizes of amsteel on hand to test. I don’t think it would be any better with a smaller size. I think it would bite way too hard, it’s hard to move already.
Typically any friction hitch should be smaller than the rope its providing friction on. I've actually made the mistake of trying to tie a friction hitch out of the same rope I was using as my main line and it didn't work well at all. I'm not sure amsteel would be the same way, but I don't see why it wouldn't.

Typically any friction hitch should be smaller than the rope its providing friction on. I've actually made the mistake of trying to tie a friction hitch out of the same rope I was using as my main line and it didn't work well at all. I'm not sure amsteel would be the same way, but I don't see why it wouldn't.
Since the bridge part is doubled, it’s thicker than the Prusik

I made one up last night and was able to use my 5.5mm Beal cordellete (same material as sewn Beal jammy) appears to be gripping well.
I have this same setup with a tender and 8mm from muddy. I run it as a schwebash with a tender and 5.5 mm cordellete like you mentioned and its worked really well for me. Only difference is that I can detach my bridge because I'm running a carabiner instead of having it tied off.

Last edited:
Pic... need to trim tails, but may loop more to shorten it.
35444b33bd333fbcff8f39f15fab28ed.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mine is yes, it didn't turn out as long as I wanted. It's somewhat of a challenge the way I did it to bury that far, but I have an idea for 2nd attempt.

What are you guys using for a stopper knot on the Amsteel? Everything I read about Amsteel, and my own experience, says that it doesn't hold knots very well. Seems like a big fat splice of some kind would work better.

Back