• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do I need stopper knots after figure 8 knots?

Thunder81

See the pictures. I have figure 8s on everything. It is on my sit drag bridge, tree tether, lineman's rope, and rappel rope. Do I really need all of those stopper knots on everything or is it safe to just have the figure 8 knot alone?

Attachments

• Hunting with Rappel Rope and ATC at the ready.jpg
    Hunting with Rappel Rope and ATC at the ready.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 150
  • at top of tree with Sit Drag also hooked in.jpg
    at top of tree with Sit Drag also hooked in.jpg
    307.7 KB · Views: 155
  • tree tether removed- ready to rappel.jpg
    tree tether removed- ready to rappel.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 130
I like them on the ends of my tethers as a 'grab' for leverage.
Tie your Figure 8 with a couple of inch tail.
Make sure there are no twists in your knot and dress them nicely.
They don't slip.

It is super easy to SEE the tail on your knots.

You do not “need” stopper knots the figure 8 will not back out however back in my climbing days we always tied one overhand or half hitch from the tag to the working end of the rope as a “safety” We never tied stopper knots on the tag end of the rope.
If you are not going to untie them then you can always use duct tape or shrink wrap to clean up the ends and not have those long tag ends dangling everywhere.
Hope that helps.

I like them on the ends of my tethers as a 'grab' for leverage.
Tie your Figure 8 with a couple of inch tail.
Make sure there are no twists in your knot and dress them nicely.
They don't slip.

It is super easy to SEE the tail on your knots.
I am definitely going to leave it on my Rappel rope for leverage. I also store the Rappel rope in my hunting bag so the little extra bulk won't matter. I may take them off of the bridge and tree tether just to make them look cleaner. I don't think they can back out as long as the figure 8 is dressed and correct.

You do not “need” stopper knots the figure 8 will not back out however back in my climbing days we always tied one overhand or half hitch from the tag to the working end of the rope as a “safety” We never tied stopper knots on the tag end of the rope.
If you are not going to untie them then you can always use duct tape or shrink wrap to clean up the ends and not have those long tag ends dangling everywhere.
Hope that helps.
That is what I am looking for. The shrink wrap/ duct tape idea is awesome and it would make everything look clean.

See the pictures. I have figure 8s on everything. It is on my sit drag bridge, tree tether, lineman's rope, and rappel rope. Do I really need all of those stopper knots on everything or is it safe to just have the figure 8 knot alone?
What is the sleeve you have on your beanr’s?

Back