• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you climb with backpack on?

gettingstarted

Do you climb with backpack on your back
or hoist backpack along with weapon of choice once on HH ?

I climb with my pack on and hoist only my bow up.
Ditto. I know some guys do the inverse with their pack and weapon, which is understandable to a degree; it’d sure be frustrating trying to pull up a finely tuned weapon 25’ on opening day only to bang it off some branch in the dark. But I figure if I have a fall or even an oops climbing up, I’d rather not have my weapon be part of the concern or damage.

I climb with my backpack on and my bow strapped to my backpack. When I get up to height all I have to do is set up. In my first season I got really tired having another line to wrestle with, constantly getting it hung up in the brush down below. Now I don’t ever carry that line with me and the bow and backpack are already there with me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pack off, rappel line tied to pack. Pull down cord clipped from pack to bow. Hoist up pack, pull up bow.

I’ve done all combinations I think. Since switching to the Eberlestock Dagger pack which weighs about 1 pound i wear it on the climb and pull my bow Up. The bow is just a little to large being strapped on the pack when climbing. It kept hitting limbs.

Depends on the tree. First year in the saddle but I plan on doing what I did with a climber. If its brushy at the bottom it'll get attached to my pack. If its nice and wide open at the base then I'll pull it up

I pull up my backpack and bow on separate lines. Didn't like the feeling of the backpack pulling me away from the tree as I'm putting up my sticks.

Most of the time I pull up pack and bow on separate lines. If rifle hunting, I usually cross sling it across my body and climb with it. I don't really like to, but I haven't figured out a way to pull it up that makes bumping the scope unlikely.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Pretty much the same as most everyone else has said. I climb with my back pack on and use a hoist for only my bow. It’s not much extra weight and if I take a platform, I usually store it in the back pack so for me it’s the simplest most logical way.

In 14 yrs, i always have prioritized a LEAN but SAFE system. I wear my Saddle with gear in saddle bags and my climbing rope over my shoulder and weapon in hand. Thats it. No pack or hoist, tether, lineman's, sticks, steps, platform, kneepads, gear hanger, binoculars or much else. No climbing or rappel device. For an all day sit, a purse like shoulder bag for food and drink. Go in light and come out dragging something heavy.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back