• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Do you train to hunt?

jlh42581

I figured Id pass my code on that I got for you to save some money if you do. I cant even imagine what I spend on supplements and its never mountain ops or WA at this point. Sometimes it is, for convenience packaging for in the woods but I just use normal every day supplements for weight training. I was going to the gym 6 days a week but had to slow down at 38. My shoulders and elbows just cant take that training frequency. I started back early last fall. I eat better in general, get more exercise, feel better and can go much longer in the field fishing or hunting.

As much as Id love to eat cheese steaks and drink beer, sit around forever and be able to just go, thats not an option anymore.

Anyhow, heres the link to save $15 if you never ordered before: https://www.talkable.com/x/1fCMdz

Couple things I take daily... Protein, Creatine, Vitamin D (work in an office) and a multivitamin ... when it comes to protein I prefer Syntha 6 in Peanut Butter Cookie... there is nothing better if you like peanut butter milkshakes. Right now alot of stuff is buy one get one free, including syntha 6 and creatine!

I figured Id pass my code on that I got for you to save some money if you do. I cant even imagine what I spend on supplements and its never mountain ops or WA at this point. Sometimes it is, for convenience packaging for in the woods but I just use normal every day supplements for weight training. I was going to the gym 6 days a week but had to slow down at 38. My shoulders and elbows just cant take that training frequency. I started back early last fall. I eat better in general, get more exercise, feel better and can go much longer in the field fishing or hunting.

As much as Id love to eat cheese steaks and drink beer, sit around forever and be able to just go, thats not an option anymore.

Anyhow, heres the link to save $15 if you never ordered before: https://www.talkable.com/x/1fCMdz

Couple things I take daily... Protein, Creatine, Vitamin D (work in an office) and a multivitamin ... when it comes to protein I prefer Syntha 6 in Peanut Butter Cookie... there is nothing better if you like peanut butter milkshakes. Right now alot of stuff is buy one get one free, including syntha 6 and creatine!
My life is so much better with Vitamin D. Office life sucks without it.

My life is so much better with Vitamin D. Office life sucks without it.

It is seriously a true "game changer" i take it without fail every day. Even my wife is getting on that wagon

It is seriously a true "game changer" i take it without fail every day. Even my wife is getting on that wagon
By mid winter if im not on extra im super depressed and scatter brained. I used to do Creatine but im like a sandwich away from being a waterbed and the water weight from it drives me nuts.

By mid winter if im not on extra im super depressed and scatter brained. I used to do Creatine but im like a sandwich away from being a waterbed and the water weight from it drives me nuts.
Haha!

If I don't take it all I want to do is sleep

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

That's something I try to do most days too is walk at work. People go and run, I'd be a sweaty hog if I did that at lunch.

I walk a lot at work so I feel like that's not a problem for me. Other than that I try to shoot my bow year round 3-4 times a week. I'll go in the back yard and shoot one arrow at a block target at 20 yds, step back and shoot one at 30, then I climb up in a tree and shoot a 3D target I have set up quartering away and then I call it good.

I am by no means an expert in fitness but I have had to stay in good shape due to my line of work for the last 14 years and for sports prior to that. I have tried a lot of different workout methods and diets over the years. I mainly like to traditionally weight train but I have to maintain good cardio for quarterly physical testing. Where I hunt there is challenging terrain. I notice if my conditioning is slipping. I have hunted at 225lbs, around 10 percent body fat, appearing to be in awesome shape and by the time I got to the tree I was smoked and pouring down sweat. I've also hunted in great running shape at a lean 185, got to my hunting location quick and easy no issues. I lift weights because I like to and prefer to keep my strength up but also maintain good run times. But if I were working out for the sole purpose of an activity like hunting? Hate to say it but I would do crossfit. Reason being is because it's mostly similar to Army PT and it is effective for a well rounded fitness level. It won't get you jacked fast but you will shed bad weight in a hurry and be able to cover miles and develop your anaerobic cardio for situations like walking up hills, climbing trees, dragging deer, etc. You can contour the workouts to your specific needs and keep them as simple or complex as you want. Me personally, I don't like crossfit enough to do it without a specific purpose (some sort of physical competition, deployment, whatever) but when done right it gives quick results. Real fitness comes with some sort of cardio. Weights alone don't cut it. There is also a common misconception especially among the younger crowds that you HAVE to work out every day. That couldn't be further from the truth. If your realistic and push yourself during your workouts 4 days a week can be adequate for most people. More importantly, your diet will make or break you. Sugar is bad for everyone but more so for men. Makes you fat, slows your brain down, kills your testosterone and the list goes on. That alone will keep you out of shape. You cannot out work bad nutrition. No need to get on complicated diets to see a huge difference. Cut out junk, don't drink calories, and contour your workouts to your specific purpose and that's all it takes

Amazing how many calories are in drinks. The new thing too is to label stuff "per serving" since they have to put it on the front. I think I saw in the work vending machine a small bag of Fritos was 320 calories... Insane!

I've had to many injuries for crossfit. The cleans and squats would wreck me. I've had back, shoulder and knee injuries! My deadlifts are like 130lbs for multiple reps, I don't even attempt maxing out.

I keep it pretty simple. I train for what I will be doing, which is carrying a backpack up steep hills. During the summer I pack 50+lbs up the hill behind my house a few times a week and mix in lunges, squats, pushups,situps and tire drags (which SUUUCCKKK). I mostly eat low carb and keep it as clean as I can. Doing this is pretty easy and keeps me in pretty good shape throughout the year.

I keep it pretty simple. I train for what I will be doing, which is carrying a backpack up steep hills

^^^ I agree with that right there... D1 athlete , many athletic hobbies, blah blah blah I’m awesome. I find for hiking nothing gets you ready except hiking.

I am by no means an expert in fitness but I have had to stay in good shape due to my line of work for the last 14 years and for sports prior to that. I have tried a lot of different workout methods and diets over the years. I mainly like to traditionally weight train but I have to maintain good cardio for quarterly physical testing. Where I hunt there is challenging terrain. I notice if my conditioning is slipping. I have hunted at 225lbs, around 10 percent body fat, appearing to be in awesome shape and by the time I got to the tree I was smoked and pouring down sweat. I've also hunted in great running shape at a lean 185, got to my hunting location quick and easy no issues. I lift weights because I like to and prefer to keep my strength up but also maintain good run times. But if I were working out for the sole purpose of an activity like hunting? Hate to say it but I would do crossfit. Reason being is because it's mostly similar to Army PT and it is effective for a well rounded fitness level. It won't get you jacked fast but you will shed bad weight in a hurry and be able to cover miles and develop your anaerobic cardio for situations like walking up hills, climbing trees, dragging deer, etc. You can contour the workouts to your specific needs and keep them as simple or complex as you want. Me personally, I don't like crossfit enough to do it without a specific purpose (some sort of physical competition, deployment, whatever) but when done right it gives quick results. Real fitness comes with some sort of cardio. Weights alone don't cut it. There is also a common misconception especially among the younger crowds that you HAVE to work out every day. That couldn't be further from the truth. If your realistic and push yourself during your workouts 4 days a week can be adequate for most people. More importantly, your diet will make or break you. Sugar is bad for everyone but more so for men. Makes you fat, slows your brain down, kills your testosterone and the list goes on. That alone will keep you out of shape. You cannot out work bad nutrition. No need to get on complicated diets to see a huge difference. Cut out junk, don't drink calories, and contour your workouts to your specific purpose and that's all it takes

CrossFit is all about getting your heart rate up and keeping it there while working in weight lifting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Amazing how many calories are in drinks. The new thing too is to label stuff "per serving" since they have to put it on the front. I think I saw in the work vending machine a small bag of Fritos was 320 calories... Insane!

I've had to many injuries for crossfit. The cleans and squats would wreck me. I've had back, shoulder and knee injuries! My deadlifts are like 130lbs for multiple reps, I don't even attempt maxing out.

Yeah I understand. But know that crossfit or any other method of working out isn't limited to what you see on tv. You can add in or cut out any exercises you want or even make up your own workouts. Like I said it's not my go to method but it does work.
^^^ I agree with that right there... D1 athlete , many athletic hobbies, blah blah blah I’m awesome. I find for hiking nothing gets you ready except hiking.

Just to be clear, my post wasn't to try to be awesome. This is just one of the few things I am decent at and have spent a lot of time doing. You are correct, the best way to prepare for hiking is to hike but supplemental exercises also add to that benefit. Walking to the tree doesn't complete the hunt.

@flinginairos outlines a pretty good regimen.

In all likelihood though the best regimen is one that you can stick with. Except maybe watching someone else exercise while eating twinkies.

As for the Vitamin D what dose are you guys at if you dont mind me asking. I have tried it consistently and not noticed a difference. I recall reading 2,000 iu somewhere based solely on the fact that the body could only uptake so much and 2,000 iu should get you there.

Interesting. I work in a windowless office. I may have to try this

I walk at lunch time a mile or two. But only late October till March. Outside of that, it is too darn hot.

As a tech nerd hunched over a laptop all day, I revel in my “yard time”.

Interesting. I work in a windowless office. I may have to try this

I also work in a windowless office may have to try some myself. I’ve been working in front of a computer for over 21 years and learned early on that I must do other activities, primarily weightlifting when I was younger and as I got older started to incorporate much more cardio into the routine. I’ve experienced a few years where I wasn’t in good shape and can recall some tough situations, (both in and out of the field). I like to think of maintaining a good workout schedule and decent diet is training for life; as the years pile on, I’m still reaping the benefits of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Tagging onto to what you said, I follow a routine that is "Crossfit Like" and can be done at home with minimal equipment. It's designed for something as simple as a set of dumbbells and a jump rope up to a full gym. They have a well rounded nutrition plan, stretching and maintenance plans, and will be releasing a sandbag plan on 6/30 and are constantly offering new additions to the program and the price hasn't changed in 2 years. It's only $19 a month and if you are familiar with Crossfit that price also includes Wodify for logging and tracking your progress. They also offer discounts for first responders, etc. as well as discounts on equipment from some big names in the industry. Its a great value. If you are interested take a look at Street Parking I love Crossfit type workout because its me vs the clock and its easy to track progress and improvements. Just tossing it out there in case anyone is interested.

Back