• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone else sweat like a damn fool, like I do?

Slabzilla73

SH Member
The older i get, the more I sweat. Doesnt matter if its 5 minutes or 40 minutes to the stand Im soaked. Most days im just wearing lightweight shorts and Muck boots & I'll be changing socks n drawers when I get to my stand cuz I want to be warm. Its a pain packing all my garb in my pack, then arriving at my tree, then airing out, and then finally cooling down enough to get dressed. Im usually on stand 45 mins before daylight. Aside from not drinking beer the night before, which Im not sure is an option, any suggestions? Im in pretty good shape for a 49yr old.

I am a sweaty dude, always have been. Growing up playing sports, when the other kids would just start breaking a sweat, I would already be drenched.

I don't really start hunting in the fall until it cools off enough to where I can at least wear long sleeves, long pants, and boots without getting soaked. I don't want to stink everything up more than I already have...

If it is hot enough that I am going to sweat and feed mosquitoes, I would rather just go fishing. It doesn't really get good around here until late October anyway.

Not sure what area you are in but maybe use some lighter weight options like heated vest and body warmers. Works in the early parts of the season to keep warm without having to carry so many layers in the pack.

So the idea is get to your stand and go on up without cooling down. As you get chilly add a body warmer or dial up the heating vest.

In SWVA, I can get by with on most days very light clothing into December using this method.

I dress to be cold on my walk to the stand and layer up once I'm stationary. If I'm moving, I'm sweating. Unless it's particularly windy, during rifle season (mid-Nov) I'll wear a hoodie over a base layer, and fine-tune my heat shedding by doffing or donning toque and gloves. Once I'm stationary for a while I'll add vest, parka, trapper hat, woobie, etc.

Not sure what area you are in but maybe use some lighter weight options like heated vest and body warmers. Works in the early parts of the season to keep warm without having to carry so many layers in the pack.

So the idea is get to your stand and go on up without cooling down. As you get chilly add a body warmer or dial up the heating vest.

In SWVA, I can get by with on most days very light clothing into December using this method.
Im in Michigan. Our weather is all over the place here.

Same here. Generally I compound the problem by walking too far, too quickly, with too much stuff on my back. Been putting a lot of energy into lightening, slowing, and shortening my walks, we shall see if it pays off.
I should have mentioned that also. I bump too many deer by walking too fast trying to cover ground. Walk slow, use your binos often, stay cold, pack light.

As I'm writing this, the thought occurs to me that a frame pack might be beneficial here. I've always used a rucksack and considered frame packs the domain of legit mountain hunters out west, or Midwesterners cosplaying as mountain hunters. But a frame pack with good ventilation would probably keep your back from getting quite as sweaty.

You sure aren't alone. Early season I pack a 2nd shirt I'll change once on stand. Late season I pack all outer layers and just wear the same shirt I'm wearing for early season to walk in. I'm usually shivering at the truck but as soon as I'm 10 yards into a walk I'm fine. I never walk with a hat on.

I am a horrible sweater. I’ve tried so many things and best I’ve come up with was to wear as little as possible in. I have swapped over to the lightest clothes I can. Most down and zip off base bottoms. Hip vents open and thin shirt even in the teens. Carry a face towel and scent wipes. Pull your pants down wipe of. Zip on bases and put on down pants. Take off wet base put in scent bag. Wipe off put on your dry set and get in your trees. Oh and makes sure you use your towel to dry your hair and a dry hat. Best I’ve come up with.

There is not enough bourbon on planet earth for me to try that down here. Briars and bull nettle would be bad enough but that would be life threatening with our early season skeeters.
Oh I do it all the way down til it gets in the 30s. I’m a sweaty mess. Thankfully I’ve only got a few greenbriar patches to navigate

Fellow Michigander/sweaty dude here. Early season I pack in a fresh T-shirt to change into once I'm up in the tree and cooled off. I rarely walk in wearing anything more than a long sleeve tee as upper layers even in second bow season when temps can be well below freezing. Staying cool/dry on the way in is key to staying warm in the stand.

The older i get, the more I sweat. Doesnt matter if its 5 minutes or 40 minutes to the stand Im soaked. Most days im just wearing lightweight shorts and Muck boots & I'll be changing socks n drawers when I get to my stand cuz I want to be warm. Its a pain packing all my garb in my pack, then arriving at my tree, then airing out, and then finally cooling down enough to get dressed. Im usually on stand 45 mins before daylight. Aside from not drinking beer the night before, which Im not sure is an option, any suggestions? Im in pretty good shape for a 49yr old.
I just did a thread on this same subject awhile back. I sweat in january lol

There is not enough bourbon on planet earth for me to try that down here. Briars and bull nettle would be bad enough but that would be life threatening with our early season skeeters.
Early season weight loss program. . . . just the little blood suckers bleed you dry. :tearsofjoy: Definitely an advantage to hunting in northern Michigan I don't think I had a single sit last year where I was complaining about skeeters.

Back