• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone one stick from a preset?

jacksonhowell88

So for a little context, I haven't shot a deer in a long time. I hunt pressured public land in a state where you can't shoot does, so that's part of the problem, and I have been mainly hunting from the ground, which I think is a big part of the problem, so I'm looking to get into saddle hunting this year. I had a really bad experience with climbing sticks a couple years ago. I had some of those ****ty old Lone Wolf sticks that only had room for one foot. They stopped making those, and I can see why. I was trying to hang a heavy hang-on stand, while balancing on one foot, way up a tree, and it was very sketchy. At one point, I slipped down a rung and got a big gash on my chest from the stick. Since then, I have zero interest in a traditional multiple sticks setup. Safety is my number one priority. I don't want to be relying on a lineman's belt, I want to be tethered into my harness all the way up the tree with as little slack as possible. I was wondering, what if I preset a tree with a throw ball, then one stick up? That way I could keep the slack out of my tether on my way up with a friction device or hitch, and I wouldn't have to fiddle with moving my tether. That seems safer to me than the traditional method of one sticking where you have to physically move your tether to remove slack. Does anyone one stick this way? Some might say that if you're going to bother with a throw ball then just use a rope climbing method, but I want to minimize ropes, and you have to bring a platform with you anyways, so why not just one stick up and use that as your platform too? Does anyone climb this way? Does it even make sense?

Welcome to the forum! Hopefully some folks versed in one stick will chime in soon. I use a method similar to what you describe but I don't use any sticks. It is called 2TC and just uses your normal top tether (and some folks use a rappel line for their top tether) and a simple foot tether on the bottom. It is about as simple as possible and does not require any presets or using a throwball.

Nothing wrong with presets.
You are correct about not having to advance the rope and have slack issues.
Presets as I understand them are a thin cord put thru the desired crotch, to be used to haul up the actual climb rope.
You now will have a double rope, meaning you have to use 60’ instead of 30’.
You will have to hitch one end to the base if the tree and off you go.

One could one-stick to setup a preset if you dont feel like, or dont have a throwball, messing with a throwball. Having a preset and one-sticking is a bit silly. With a preset, you can either DRT or SRT.

IF you want to go a cheaper route and be safer, check out the 2TC threads. Its the safest way to go and since your're already used to one-sticking, its the same thing sans the stick, you are just using a footloop instead of the stick.

Welcome to the forum. FWIW my current preferred method for tree climbing is one sticking on a short tether using a stick with double steps and a single step aider.

I do however one-stick back up to my platform on my rappel rope if I have to get out of the tree for some reason during a hunt. In those instances I take my stick down with me as I rappel and just one stick back up on the rappel rope/rig. I say this so that I can attest that it can be done.

I will say though that it is WAY more difficult for me trying to climb using the one stick on a 25-30ft length of rope for a couple of reasons:

The first is the stability factor. When you're hanging on a short tether (5-6ft) you're pretty much fixed directly below the tie in and it's easy to stay where you want with respect to the tree, even on slightly leaning trees. When hanging at the end of 25-30' of rope you're on the end of a long pendulum and its harder to orient yourself to the tree to attach and set the stick. There's also a delay in the pendulum swing which adds difficulty to the stability corrections you try to apply. Add to that any slight lean of the tree will pull you away from the tree on the downside and it can be difficult to make the early moves. Luckily it gets better as you close the gap to the tie in point. However, you'll likely find you need both hands on the tree/stick to maintain your orientation which means you can't take up the slack in your rope until you've stepped up which negates you're original purpose for climbing on the long rope.

The second issue I find is that there's considerable stretch, even in static rope, when the full length of rope is involved (3% of 30' is approx. 11 inches). This stretch equates to substantial setback (loss of height) with each move when you reweight the rope to move the stick. Although this also gets better as you climb, it annoys me to give up any height I've worked for during the climb and you aren't able to advance your stick as far for each of the early moves. For instance, If I moved the stick 4 times in my initial climb it will generally take me 6 moves to get the same height on the rappel rope.

My personal third issue with your proposed method is practical application of the whole throw ball concept in a hunting situation. Let me again go back to cite some personal experience. The first year I bought a saddle I decided I was going to use SRT rope climbing to access the tree. I practiced all summer in the big maple in the back yard. I got good at hitting my spot with the throwball and was very comfortable with the SRT climb method (I still think it is one of least strenuous climbing methods). Going into season I was all pumped up about my new saddle setup. Once season started I soon discovered there's a big difference between managing the throwball cord in the lawn versus in the woods. The string looped around and caught around every loose twig in the forest essentially making the toss unusable for me. Since I had put all my eggs in that basket I was forced back to my climber that season. The next year I changed climbing systems to something that I practiced successfully in the woods all summer :tearsofjoy:.

Please don't take this post wrong, I'm not trying to be critical of your idea. Please consider it more as practical advice from a guy who's already done this and is sharing his own personal experiences.

Welcome to the forum. FWIW my current preferred method for tree climbing is one sticking on a short tether using a stick with double steps and a single step aider.

I do however one-stick back up to my platform on my rappel rope if I have to get out of the tree for some reason during a hunt. In those instances I take my stick down with me as I rappel and just one stick back up on the rappel rope/rig. I say this so that I can attest that it can be done.

I will say though that it is WAY more difficult for me trying to climb using the one stick on a 25-30ft length of rope for a couple of reasons:

The first is the stability factor. When you're hanging on a short tether (5-6ft) you're pretty much fixed directly below the tie in and it's easy to stay where you want with respect to the tree, even on slightly leaning trees. When hanging at the end of 25-30' of rope you're on the end of a long pendulum and its harder to orient yourself to the tree to attach and set the stick. There's also a delay in the pendulum swing which adds difficulty to the stability corrections you try to apply. Add to that any slight lean of the tree will pull you away from the tree on the downside and it can be difficult to make the early moves. Luckily it gets better as you close the gap to the tie in point. However, you'll likely find you need both hands on the tree/stick to maintain your orientation which means you can't take up the slack in your rope until you've stepped up which negates you're original purpose for climbing on the long rope.

The second issue I find is that there's considerable stretch, even in static rope, when the full length of rope is involved (3% of 30' is approx. 11 inches). This stretch equates to substantial setback (loss of height) with each move when you reweight the rope to move the stick. Although this also gets better as you climb, it annoys me to give up any height I've worked for during the climb and you aren't able to advance your stick as far for each of the early moves. For instance, If I moved the stick 4 times in my initial climb it will generally take me 6 moves to get the same height on the rappel rope.

My personal third issue with your proposed method is practical application of the whole throw ball concept in a hunting situation. Let me again go back to cite some personal experience. The first year I bought a saddle I decided I was going to use SRT rope climbing to access the tree. I practiced all summer in the big maple in the back yard. I got good at hitting my spot with the throwball and was very comfortable with the SRT climb method (I still think it is one of least strenuous climbing methods). Going into season I was all pumped up about my new saddle setup. Once season started I soon discovered there's a big difference between managing the throwball cord in the lawn versus in the woods. The string looped around and caught around every loose twig in the forest essentially making the toss unusable for me. Since I had put all my eggs in that basket I was forced back to my climber that season. The next year I changed climbing systems to something that I practiced successfully in the woods all summer :tearsofjoy:.

Please don't take this post wrong, I'm not trying to be critical of your idea. Please consider it more as practical advice from a guy who's already done this and is sharing his own personal experiences.
Should of got the cube for managing your throw line :p

Should of got the cube for managing your throw line :p
You're right and I didn't. However, while I see it as a definite solution for the initial throw it doesn't stop the catching of loose stuff that I would "catch" from any missed throw. In the end, its one step of my climbing evolution and I'm really happy where it has led me so far. One sticking gives me the ability to easily climb any tree I would want too hunt out of while being light and compact enough to carry in a pouch on my pack.

We all have different needs and expectations of our climbing systems and I'm not saying one sticking is the way to go for anyone but me. As I said, the intent of my post was not to criticize but to share my experiences with the proposed climbing method. Individual mileage may vary. :tearsofjoy:

You would have to carry the same amount of rope either way.

Caveat- not a presetter/rope climber here, but I would see no point to the one stick if you have presets. SRT/MRT/DdRT etc basically any of the multiple techniques where you're climbing the rope not the tree makes more sense to me at that point.

It doesn't make sense to me to one stick on a pre set. I have done it in the yard as kinda practice. But if your leaving a preset, your gonna have to pull another rope up. If your big on safety I hope your not leaving your climbing rope in the tree.
One sticking usually means your on a smaller platform or bring another. So depending on your desires for platform that could be an issue.
What kinda trees are in your area and size can be a factor as well.
I would suggest checking out the member map or ask if anyone is near you who let you try some of the climbing methods. May help your decided if you like one method over the other. This would save you some money as well in not buying a bunch of different things to only discover you don't like it.

If I am using a preset and didn’t want to manage a longer rope then I would just use my rappel rope and srt climb using the longhorn agile hitch with the garda footloop! Very simple and one of the safest methods out there in my opinion. I climb all different ways, srt, drt, one stick and 2TC! Every method has its advantages and disadvantages, if I’m walking deep into the country I will either one stick or 2TC and use my one stick and ring of steps for platform! No way am I using a throw ball on my hunt, just too much managing the line even with the cube that I have, I will however leave a preset line in any tree that I have a chance of ever hunting again!

THIS! When I was practicing one sticking and rappelling back down and one sticking back up with my rappel rope four years ago when I first started saddle hunting I did find it more difficult for reasons you mentioned. Much easier and stable one sticking with a standard length tether then one that is attached 20+ feet up in a tree. Felt like a little worm dangling down from a long fishing pole. No bueno. Can it be done? Yes absolutely. But if safety is a factor as stated, it’s just not as safe or easy IMO. You still have to slide your friction hitch up obviously or slack is an issue regardless. Just didn’t feel near as stable for me especially on a tree even with a tiny pitch

I was wondering, what if I preset a tree with a throw ball, then one stick up? That way I could keep the slack out of my tether on my way up with a friction device or hitch, and I wouldn't have to fiddle with moving my tether. That seems safer to me than the traditional method of one sticking where you have to physically move your tether to remove slack.

Do you mean to have a preset, pull your rope up using the preset cord, then climb using friction hitches/mechanical ascenders and use the one-stick as your platform? Or do you mean something different?
I like presets - even if I traditionally one-stick climb a tree, I'll leave a preset when I'm done so that the next time I can just SRT climb back up. I still use my one-stick as my platform, unless I plan on an all-day hunt in the same spot - then I may bring a larger platform.

So for a little context, I haven't shot a deer in a long time. I hunt pressured public land in a state where you can't shoot does, so that's part of the problem, and I have been mainly hunting from the ground, which I think is a big part of the problem, so I'm looking to get into saddle hunting this year. I had a really bad experience with climbing sticks a couple years ago. I had some of those ****ty old Lone Wolf sticks that only had room for one foot. They stopped making those, and I can see why. I was trying to hang a heavy hang-on stand, while balancing on one foot, way up a tree, and it was very sketchy. At one point, I slipped down a rung and got a big gash on my chest from the stick. Since then, I have zero interest in a traditional multiple sticks setup. Safety is my number one priority. I don't want to be relying on a lineman's belt, I want to be tethered into my harness all the way up the tree with as little slack as possible. I was wondering, what if I preset a tree with a throw ball, then one stick up? That way I could keep the slack out of my tether on my way up with a friction device or hitch, and I wouldn't have to fiddle with moving my tether. That seems safer to me than the traditional method of one sticking where you have to physically move your tether to remove slack. Does anyone one stick this way? Some might say that if you're going to bother with a throw ball then just use a rope climbing method, but I want to minimize ropes, and you have to bring a platform with you anyways, so why not just one stick up and use that as your platform too? Does anyone climb this way? Does it even make sense?
Hope you like chasin rabbits cause we got more rabbit holes around here than the swiss can put in cheese.

When I was using a separate stick and platform, I routinely did what you are talking about, leaving the platform and re-climbing using the one stick on the long rope. It never struck me as difficult for the reasons you mention. You do have to play the lean but I always did that using a heel hook like 2TC or I would cross my ankles and pull my legs up and straddle the tree with my knees which for me was a comfortable and very stable position to reset the stick. If I set the stick as high as I could reach it put the bottom of my one step aider at a comfortable height to step into. That was using a full length helium stick with aider. Since I made the platform a one stick, I leave it in the tree with the rope if I am coming back to that tree later that day or the next and just climb the rope with a foot loop on a cornell hitch.

If I was going to leave a preset line, I think I would rope climb rather than messing with the stick.

I’ve been 1 sticking for the last few years, just beginning SRT. Another vote for just climb the rope. It more fun and will be easier once you get the hang of it. I’m on Public land too and am leaving paracord presets. Keep in mind when you go up a single rope, gravity will decide which side of the tree you’re going to climb.

Thanks for the info. Glad to hear from someone who has actually done what I was describing. I just thought it would be a bit safer because I wouldn't have to move my tether, but I can see how it would be difficult to get in proper position to move the stick when you're dangling around from such a long rope. I definitely want to use presets, so I think I will investigate some rope climbing methods like SRT. I haven't purchased anything yet, so I'm not committed to any particular equipment.

Last edited:
Back