• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does anyone use a ropeman to haul a heavy pack?

Wondering if anyone has used a Ropeman or Kong as a progress capture device to haul a heavy bag up the tree? I've found on some all day sits I want to bring a lot more with me.

Sent from my SM-N976U using Tapatalk

All day sits require comfort. I also bring a lot of stuff. Pack, lunch, drink, platform, saddle, screw in steps, rattle bag, book, knife, saw, allen keys, TP, extra pull up rope, folding bow hanger, extra cloths, extra gloves, extra hat, hand muff, and if really cold boot blankets. It get 20 below here or if the wind blows your your gonna freeze your nuts off. If your gonna make all day you had better be prepared. Needless to say my pack is heavy!

It would work, a RollNLock would work better. The only problem I see is lugging into the woods a pack so heavy you need help getting it up the tree.
Just purchased a RollNLock after researching it based on your recommendation. Thank you, good sir.

Just curious as to what you plan to do on the way down.
I've always felt it wouldn't hurt to have a backup tether on hand, so my thought for this setup would be to have an extra tether with a prussik connected to a carabiner. That carabiner would be the connection to the RollNLock I just purchased based on @CZMark recommendation, that will be connected to the hoist rope (8mm sterling oplux). I pull everything up, then set the hoist rope in the pack, out of the way. Remove the extra tether and store it in a molle pouch on my saddle or just hook into it loosely with my bridge for redundancy.

I guess once I get comfortable, there's no reason I couldn't just use my own tether/bridge carabiner as a connection point for the RollNLock and pull up the hoist. Then i just need the RollNLock and hoist rope and that's it.

On the way down, looks like you can flip the RollNLock and use it as a simple pulley to lower, or I can just do that by hand. Easier down than up.

I was kind of surprised I couldn't find any threads with people doing this or trying it but I guess most folks are smart and travel lighter than me for long hunts.

All day sits require comfort. I also bring a lot of stuff. Pack, lunch, drink, platform, saddle, screw in steps, rattle bag, book, knife, saw, allen keys, TP, extra pull up rope, folding bow hanger, extra cloths, extra gloves, extra hat, hand muff, and if really cold boot blankets. It get 20 below here or if the wind blows your your gonna freeze your nuts off. If your gonna make all day you had better be prepared. Needless to say my pack is heavy!

Back