• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Does length of tubing matter?

Newhunter1

SH Member
I found in my basement three full length lone wolf tubing, and one 10" section of gorilla stick. I was thinking of cutting down the lone wolf sticks down to 20" and getting the ultralight double steps and standoffs. However my mind got to thinking...what if I take the 10" stick and make a super mini stick with the gorilla tubing and the ultralight stand off's and just one double step. I have a 3 step aider that I'll pair with this stick and use as my one stick method or as a platform...the list could go on. What are your thoughts on customizing these sticks...especially the 10" tube?

I know @Squirrels uses a 17" stick for one-sticking. Maybe he can chime in on minimum length. I think the issue is you lose 17"-20" each time you set your stick because you can't step up to reset your tether.

I know @Squirrels uses a 17" stick for one-sticking. Maybe he can chime in on minimum length. I think the issue is you lose 17"-20" each time you set your stick because you can't step up to reset your tether.

I actually use a 14” stick for one sticking with a 2 step aider, each step of the aider is spaced at 22”. I actually never climb on the top step of my stick. I move up my tether from the bottom step of the stick. My feet are at 22’ with 4 moves up the tree. So all said and done I average a tad under 6’ per move.

I 1 stick climbed for years. My shortest stick was a 15" hawk helium. The only time I felt that the length of the stick mattered was when stepping onto the stick from my aider. When stepping up on to the bottom steps and grabbing the top steps it would get awkward because the top steps would be so low I couldn't really use them to pull myself up onto the stick. I had to grab the tree instead. I got used to it but I remember thinking it felt weird. Other than that I loved using a short stick. Didn't weigh much and easy to pack.

Back