• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Don’t pay 150 for a madrock…you don’t need it.

Agreed.. I’m typically a fan of less moving parts… I use a $22 ATC device… I hunt off a Prussic attached to the tether then throw the atc device on when I’m ready to descend… attach the Prussic to a carabiner on my lineman loops as a backup and down I go… this also avoids having multiple metal objects to clang together while climbing

Agreed.. I’m typically a fan of less moving parts… I use a $22 ATC device… I hunt off a Prussic attached to the tether then throw the atc device on when I’m ready to descend… attach the Prussic to a carabiner on my lineman loops as a backup and down I go… this also avoids having multiple metal objects to clang together while climbing
Do the same with a figure 8

ive been using an ATC guide slightly out of spec (rated to 8.1, used on oplux), and it works OK but i had one descent with a wet rope that was still safe, but harder to slow myself than i'd like, so was VERY happy to see grivel master monos back in stock at EWO (i saw a bunch of stuff towards the end of last season that they'd been discontinued, and the EWO site still has this disclaimer up, but got some stock back in for now at least). Perhaps it won't be THAT different, but glad to be using something within spec this year. that and an autoblock and i'm all good for the descent. i use a CT rollnlock on the way up.

Madrocks are just OK. Don’t obsess. Their big claim to fame is they advance on the rope and hold without falling back down. Guess what? They do slip down the rope, just slower. You can go up and down with any number of alternatives.
You’re not wrong, but I’d also love to sell my safeguard for $150 so not loving this post.......

Madrocks are just OK. Don’t obsess. Their big claim to fame is they advance on the rope and hold without falling back down. Guess what? They do slip down the rope, just slower. You can go up and down with any number of alternatives.
How do they slip down the rope? Mine doesn't slip one bit with 8mm Resc Tech. I've seen some other devices that seem to slip a bit of rope before they catch, but I haven't noticed it at all with the Safeguard.
I thought about selling mine because I could get by without it. Maybe I'll see how much they go for come October. I have no problem unloading it for a premium if someone wants to part with their money.

I got rid of the safeguard pretty quick after using it a few times. Went to the petzl micro traxion for ascending and a small figure 8 for coming down(add autoblock below for safety). Not only was the madrock loud, heavy, and bulky if used to hunt from, but it was herky jerky on the way down too. The micro trax is 1/3 the size, 1/3 the weight, and was a no brainer for me.

The only trade off would be for those who like to stay on the madrock without changing over while hunting. I always came off it and used my tether/duck to hunt so for me it was all gain, no loss.

I actually have a new one I don't really need if anyone is interested in trying it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

i saw one on fb go for an insane amount earlier today, its insane what people will pay above market price for stuff simply because they want it

its insane that people think market price is anything other than what a willing seller and a willing buyer agree to.

and it’s insane that value of the item being sold is arbitrarily tied to a monetary value that people make up in their heads.

I guess that’s what we get when economics assumes humans are rational beings who make rational buying decisions. What’s rational?

You don’t need any of the stuff we use, we could just sit on the ground and hunt…I do own a safeguard and I like it. Done a lot of rappelling and climbing with different devices and even no devices for work but the safeguard works well for what we use it for. Plus I bought my safeguard with my money so that shouldnt bother anyone else lol

Back