• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Don't shoot at squirrels

GCTerpfan

Staff member
SH Member
The last 3 days was Maryland's 3-day Early muzzleloader season. I decided to carry my recurve to try and shoot another doe. About 9:00 a.m. I had a big fat gray squirrel running around the base of my tree. As I was was watching it I was thinking about all of the squirrels I have passed up with my bow because I didn't want to screw up an opportunity at deer but, I've never had deer come by right after passing up a shot at a squirrel. So, I thought screw it I'm going to shoot this squirrel.

I swap my broadhead for my judo point and proceeded to skip an arrow off a log an inch in front of the squirrels face. My arrow bounces out through the woods another 10 yards. I re-nock an arrow with a broadhead and no sooner hang my bow back up and I hear the unmistakable sound of deer coming my way from the direction I had just shot at the squirrel.

I grab my bow turn back around and see a beautiful 115"+ eight point coming up a trail that will lead him by me at 10 yards but, also happens to have my squirrel arrow laying on it. He gets to my arrow, stops and stands there facing me at 30 yards. I assume he smelled my arrow because at that point he makes a sharp right, leaving the trail and cutting behind me and downwind of me. As he comes behind me at 15 yards he catches a wiff of me and stops again, where I can't shoot, one step before a 10-yard long opening. I see his nostrils flare for a second and he makes three big jumps right through my opening, trots off to 50 yards and looks back at me. Of course the four does following him all line up in the middle of the opening, and my plan was to shoot a doe this weekend anyway, but I don't because he's still standing 50 yards away looking back. They ended up being the only deer I got in bow range this weekend.

Needless to say, I won't be shooting at anymore squirrels.

I sometimes carry my blow gun for them, typically if I take kids with me and or I’m just after a doe

I shot at one, missed, and put the arrow back in my quiver but not all the way in because the BH had expanded and thought I would clean the dirt off of it when I got home. Next day I forgot about it and ended up losing that arrow in some brush on my way to the stand. Never found that arrow. Luckily, I had a cheap Rage knockoff on it that I had found in the parking area last year so only real loss was the arrow shaft.

There’s a black squirrel with a bloody nose having trouble munching acorns today...because I didn’t bring the pellet gun. And because my arrow clipped him as it sailed into the River.

like I said, I can’t help it.

If you hadn't shown the picture, I'd say that's definitely tail blood. Back out and give him time.
:tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:
So after he got clipped he ran up that tree and tried to figure out what happened. He bounced from limb to limb looking and contemplating what just happened while dripping blood down. I wondered if he would “bleed out” but he eventually scampered off. I hoped I would see him again someday but our paths never crossed.

So there was this other time I shot the last 3 inches off a raccoons tail. Two came in. I shot one. The other took off running and I put a shot on him and thought I missed completely til I retrieved my arrow and there was the end of his tail laying on the ground beside my arrow. He was running directly away from me so I am unsure of the physics on how that happened but there was his tail beside my arrow.

Back