• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Double from the sit drag

catman529

Climbed a good comfy tree that split half way up and gave me a good back rest with the other trunk. It was daylight before I got set up. Saw 7 or 8 does/fawns. Started with a group of 6 come off private land only 30 yards from me. They got across the entire CRP field without stopping for a clear shot. Then they turned and got under some trees where the weeds weren’t tall, and I dropped one dead at roughly 180 yards with the .308 Ruger American.

They kind of scattered except for two button bucks that didn’t know what to do. Meanwhile another doe had snuck in behind me from private land, she saw me and blew and ran off.

Slowly the does all regrouped near my dead deer, and I shot another one. This one ran off towards a creek.

Once again, the deer regrouped in the same area. I watched them work their way back the way they originally came. It turned out to be 5 deer, when it should have been 4. The lead doe was a big mature nanny, and she gave me that perfect broadside shot somewhere between 50 and 60 yards. Boom heart shot, she ran straight towards me and crashed within 35 yards of my tree.

Fast forward, I retrieved deer #1 and #3, but #2 was an apparent miss. After finding where she was standing, but finding no blood or fur anywhere, a buddy came to help me grid search the small thicket she ran into. The search turned up empty, I apparently missed the deer, or just barely grazed it. She acted hit when I shot, but maybe was just scared shatless...

Cant complain though... I got one more deer that I wanted for myself, and one for a friend who needs some deer meat. I might need to kill one more for another friend before the season is over. I’ll have video uploaded in the next day or so.

5b67cafcc35808e37f5f9d5b85ae1e30.jpg

9036766dbf495d8bfff20e89761fad30.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats on the does.

There’s a few deer here for sure. We have crazy limits here. 3 doe a day and 2 bucks a season. Season starts late September and goes to Jan.

I’m afraid it’s all about to change now they have confirmed CWD here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the does.

There’s a few deer here for sure. We have crazy limits here. 3 doe a day and 2 bucks a season. Season starts late September and goes to Jan.

I’m afraid it’s all about to change now they have confirmed CWD here.

What is your opinion on what changes that will be made?

What is your opinion on what changes that will be made?

I’m not sure yet to tell the truth. They have already lengthened the season in the county’s that have confirmed CWD. I think I read all deer have to be deboned before leaving those countys. I still have a lot of reading to do in it.

I’m not sure yet to tell the truth. They have already lengthened the season in the county’s that have confirmed CWD. I think I read all deer have to be deboned before leaving those countys. I still have a lot of reading to do in it.

I was wondering how they might handle it. I knew deboning was required for all states now I think, but I imagine trying limit the number of deer was something wasn't sure about. But I'm no biologist. LOL I really don't think anyone is very sure about the best way to go forward. IMO.

Back