• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Draw weight scale

Weldabeast

SH Member
Which 1 are u guys using? I figure I ask before I start researching. Now the baby is born my wife is ready to learn to shoot and I want to know what weight she's at. I gave her my old bow which is adjustable from 5-70. What's a good weight to start at.... I'm thinking really light as to not make her struggle with it and no sore muscles....

I got my wife a bow last year. She had never shot anything before. After watching me for years she finally let me get one for her. We started pretty low and let her work her way up in draw weight. She was afraid she would not be able to pull much and at first she didn't. Started around 35 pounds but now she is at around 50. It has been very cool to be able to go to the archery range with the wife.
I just bought one off Amazon. Look up handheld scale or suitcase scale. Of course if you want to spend more you can get an "official" bow scale but they are usually alot more money.Screenshot_20210205-205534_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I read somewhere that if you can draw the bow back smoothly while keeping arrow pointed at target you're good. When you start wanting to lift the bow up to gain leverage you can learn bad mechanics. So it may be a start at 25 and bump up/down from there kinda thing. More experienced archers will hopefully be along to correct me shortly...

Brother, I hate to tell you that wife and weight do not go in the same sentence. Must be your first child ...congratulations.
Almost...#3

I seen those white T handle cheapies and was wondering if they were junk. I'm fine with a fish scale honestly but was just curious what others with more experience has to say.

I think it will be fun going thru the whole process with her. I learned it all in in bits and pieces as needed but I'll be able to guide her thru start to finish with what I learned. My state says u have to have 40pd to hunt legally. I really really don't think a wildlife officer is going to check. I think a good rule of thumb is u should be able to draw your bow pointing straight down and ur elbow straight up or other various situation like kneeling easily. She might be looking to target shoot but I'll set her up for success in the woods. I've had to draw in weird positions. I have my bow in the 50-55 pound range and I'm probably gonna turn mine down also.

Dutch is right. Start low like 25-30...crank it up by a couple pounds as she gets more comfortable...what’s great is the fact that she hasn’t pulled one back before so you can start at a really light weight and teach her proper mechanics so she learns the correct way at first and won’t develop bad habits...point the arrow directly at the target and have her pull back...if she can’t do that comfortably, turn it down until that is achievable and comfortable for her to take a lot of quality repetitions...don’t forget to mention to her that she should NEVER draw without an arrow nocked :)

Back when I first started bowhunting the only draw weight scales available were the Hanson Bow scales and that is a good scale but there are many more options on the market today. I like the LCA handheld one you use to draw the bow back. Its very accurate and a good investment in my personal opinion. You don't have to worry about hanging it somewhere and it facilitates checking your dw more frequently. It lives right on your workbench.

As far as what weight, check your state's minimum legal DW requirements. I would start there or even slightly less and have her work up to it. I agree with other posters that you should be able to draw the bow without having to hold the bow up or down. You should be able to keep everything pretty much even. Another great way to test if you're over bowed or not is to sit on a chair and draw your bow. If you can pull it straight back while sitting, you're not overbowed. Lastly, the muscles most people use to draw a bow back are very infrequently used. If she gets dismayed at first remind her that it is a process working your back muscles up to draw a bow. And again, it should be your back as much as possible when drawing like you want to squeeze and hold a golf ball between your shoulder blades as you draw back. The release should be that closing of the shoulder blades. I envy that your wife is interested, I've been trying to get mine to do if for awhile now.

Back