• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Drilling trees?

Just my gut feeling (since I only started using bolts last September) but if I were to drill them in late spring, I would install the bolts. I've asked Mark Cama his opinion if he's ever had issues with removing bolts after a growing season. Mark said he has never lost a bolt to the tree. I wouldn't be afraid to leave bolts in all summer. Yeah, they might get tight by the end of the season but they should unscrew. At the worst, you should be able to do a combination of screwing while pry/pulling with vice grips.
I'm sure tree species will come into play.
Some species like cottonwood grow really fast and may get tight faster. Even 2 individual trees of the same species, growing side by side, don't always grow at the same rate.

I left some in for a growing season. A few in hardwoods were a pain. It helps when you go to pull them to go ahead and give each one a good bounce on the way up. Pines are just messy and can seem glued in after just a couple weeks. They will come out but require wrench work.

I am planning on pulling bolts on way down and reinstating each time I HUNT the tree,just wondering if I would have to Redhill the holes after 3 months or so?

I am planning on pulling bolts on way down and reinstating each time I HUNT the tree,just wondering if I would have to Redhill the holes after 3 months or so?
If the area was far from home, or near a sensitive spot like bedding, etc, and you really need it to be prepped for a hunt, then I would drill and bolt now (or as late as you can reasonably access the spot).
If its a close to home, and easy to access spot, then wait until late summer.
Honestly, drilling with a hand drill isn't difficult. The biggest issue with doing it run and gun is the time it takes to do it...which isn't long but for some stand access, every second counts.
And again...tree species comes into play.
For me, I would want to drill now and then be surprised when I walk in for the 1st hunt because I made an assumption.
IMO, bolt now or wait until later.
If you need "professional advice", call Mark Cama.
I did mention this subject to him earlier today. I suggested he add some "user tips" to his website. He thought it was a good idea, but he has a lot of irons in the fire and is quite busy. Not sure when he might edit the content on his site. Call him. He is very approachable.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Back