• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DRT issues...suggestions needed...

Newhunter1

SH Member
I've been watching the NY Saddle hunter guys showing how to do the DRT system. I was planning on going out in July and setting presets. So I got off of an online store some rope that is 7/16" (11mm) x 100' of double braided static line. I cut off 25' and have that section for practicing in my basement. However my issue is that the rope is to stiff and will not take a bite when I put it in a blake hitch and put a load on it. I literally go straight to the ground.

So, last night I was thinking about what to do. I remembered that I have some extra PMI 8mm prussic cordage that I had on some of my old sticks before going to amsteel. I got about a 6 foot length and put it with my rope...tied a girth hitch loop using both cords together and then took the extra length to make the blake hitch and it worked.

I guess my question is this...should I sell the 75' of the double braided static line (someone could use it for an SRT line and life line) and get the predator line from wesspur or make this work. I think that when this rope gets broken in and more flexible that it might work, but until then I'll place a smaller prussic blake hitch in conjunction.

Any suggestions? All rope is climb rated so I'm not worried about that.

Last edited:
Spend 3 or 4 evenings bending the 11mm back and forth while watching TV. Should help break it in. Think you can make that rope work.

Not to derail your original question, but why did you choose DRT over SRT?

Spend 3 or 4 evenings bending the 11mm back and forth while watching TV. Should help break it in. Think you can make that rope work.

Not to derail your original question, but why did you choose DRT over SRT?

Less gear to bring in and there are some huge oaks that I can use the DRT on the public land I hunt. I still like the SRT method and will use it in trees that will work better. As well as the single stick method.

I had the same issue with my Blake’s hitch not holding. I ended up using a split tail system with a 8mm rope which bit into the rope better but I don’t like having 2 carabiners and might just go buy a different rope.

Back