• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

DRT/SRT Belay Device Alternative?

Davisatlrc

Mar 20, 2021
Roanoke VA
Has anyone used something like this as an ascend/belay device?
Amazon Link

I am aware of the blakes hitch, I just think something mechanical will be easier to get up the tree with in the early morning hours.

This will be my first saddle season and I'm not ready to drop money on a GriGri yet.

ScottL

SH Member
Dec 18, 2019
Starke Florida
YAHOO
scottstreestand@yahoo.com
AOL
scottstreestand@yahoo.com
I have one of these they work good for the rappelling but are a big pain if used for ascending. When I used this I would ascend with a prusic or a ropeman one and then descend one this descinder

Reactions: Davisatlrc

Davisatlrc

Mar 20, 2021
Roanoke VA
A prussic might work. I tried using one for DRT yesterday, following this video, but couldn't get the knot to release. Got stuck 3 feet off the ground. I also just noticed he is using a swaybish hitch in the video..so that may have made a difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brocky

Newhunter1

SH Member
Dec 20, 2018
A prussic might work. I tried using one for DRT yesterday, following this video, but couldn't get the knot to release. Got stuck 3 feet off the ground. I also just noticed he is using a swaybish hitch in the video..so that may have made a differnece.

If you have used a prussic then when loaded it will not release. Use the swaibisch...it will be the difference between night and day.

phatkaw

SH Member
Feb 23, 2021
Western Pa
A prussic might work. I tried using one for DRT yesterday, following this video, but couldn't get the knot to release. Got stuck 3 feet off the ground. I also just noticed he is using a swaybish hitch in the video..so that may have made a differnece.

I don't even have to watch the video to know that a Swabisch will make a HUGE difference...

John RB

Vendor Rep
Jan 24, 2021
Fort Washington, PA
youtube.com
Has anyone used something like this as an ascend/belay device?
Amazon Link

I am aware of the blakes hitch, I just think something mechanical will be easier to get up the tree with in the early morning hours.

This will be my first saddle season and I'm not ready to drop money on a GriGri yet.
A carabiner is the only belay device I have needed since I started saddle hunting in 2008. It works on a Single Rope System, or half of a Moving Rope System or 2 strands of my JRB system. And if you looking for the smoothest possible friction hitch, look up my Double Michoacan. Here's my munter technique:

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk