• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Drywall tuning for heavy arrows

weekender21

SH Member
Well, I drywall tuned a 580 grain arrow tonight. Full penetration all the way through the drywall and exterior composite siding (hanging by the fletching). Not bad penetration for an Iron Will field point designed specifically to slow penetration! My bad.

So, how’s your quarantine going?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang! I thought I was the only one. I was bare shafting at work and had an accidental fire at about 3/4 draw,( not sure how it happened) but split my chin with my release and sent my 690gr VAP through a steel door. Lucky I didn't knock my teeth out. Penetrated through from 15yds. Didn't get a complete pass through but it left an unexplainable bullet hole in the door, which I bondo'd up and hit with some touch up paint. Was shooting in the house many years ago and bounced one off the half wall in the upstairs hall and stuck it through the kitchen wall into the dining room down stairs. Guess I didn't have the clearance over the wall I thought I had. "Oops, my bad" X2

Yeah funny story.. I drywall tuned mine by accident in my garage as well. These heavier arrows tend to slide my target behind my paper tuning set up. Turns out you need to check my bag target after every shot. Turns out it’s very hard to dig a 275gr field point out of a stud behind the drywall. It was buried to the threads... test kits down a 275...
9bcb6d5e1fbbe89144b749e5c1d00a9c.jpg

Sent from parts unknown

I have sent a couple into the concrete foundation wall in my unfinished basement. Couldn't figure out why I was getting occasional misfires on my thumb trigger release until I realized the tumb barrel would sometimes just barely nick my chin as I came to full draw, and off she went. That's why I no longer use the large thumb barrel. Went to the smaller one and adjust it to be tucked in a bit further. I also don't draw towards my chin or face anymore, but off to the side a little. Sent another into the wall when using the big heavy brass barrel. Discovered the weight gives it enough kinetic energy in it to activate the release if you slam too hard into the back wall of your draw (if the trigger is set light enough). The wall ate another one due to me forgetting to zero out my single pin sight. It was set at 50 yards and the arrow flew just over the top of the target. Concrete tuning gets expensive...

I glass tuned an arrow a few years back. Miss fired when pulling back and it went through a small hole in my fence and hit my neighbors screened in porch. 1000 dollar sheet of glass was a fun check to write out. Screened in? it had eleven 5' x 8' windows all the way around. I got lucky and hit the bottom of the window and stuck into the frame but it spider'd the window.

DAMN!!!! OUCH!!!! Hey neighbor I fired an arrow through your house, hope ya don't mind. Oh, and about that window...... my "b". Hahahahaha!!

I set up an indoor paper tuning range in my basement earlier this week, shooting down the hallway to the exterior door which leads to the stairs outside. Being the top half of the door is double pane thermal glass I bought a 3'x4' heavy rubber mat from TSC to hang in between the door and my bag target just in case I hit a soft spot in the bag and get too much penetration. My wife asked if that rubber will stop an arrow and I said confidently "the arrow's gonna bounce right off it, that rubber is dense". Well you know where this is going...
So I'm down there shooting all sorts of arrow weights trying to get a good tear and the paper is getting filled up with holes so it's getting harder to find a clean piece to aim at but my son says "hey dad, what about the left side?". Sure enough the left edge looks clean so I send an arrow a touch over 675grs in there and it didn't sound good when it hit. The arrow caught the edge of the bag target where it is about half the thickness and punched a hole through my rubber mat backstop but luckily came to a stop about a 1/4" from the glass. The sound we heard was from the field point tapping the glass while the rubber mat was swinging. You know that look your wife gives you while your pulling your foot out of your mouth...

I haven’t dry wall tuned, but I have ‘played through’ a basement window while practicing golf chip shots in to the back cushion of a recliner.
“Hey, babe. Funny story...”
I bet I broke at least 10 basement windows out of my Mom's house growing up while shooting hockey pucks off the linoleum floor against the cinder block wall. On the plus side I learned how to replace a pane of glass. :tearsofjoy:

I’ve drywall tuned, panel tuned, concrete wall tuned...even tv tuned once. The best was when I was single and drywall tuned through the wall that separated me from duplex neighbor. Luckily she wasn’t home at the time but I did have to buy her a new microwave...

I was shooting at a friend's house few years ago in the basement. While drawing I hit my release. Stuck an arrow in his joist.. oops. My bad.

I live next to a small community airport. My biggest fear shooting in the yard in past has been performing an "airplane tune". That would be hard to explain. o_O I was angled away from the airplane parking but I was still shooting 45-60 degrees toward that direction. I ended up opening the door of my extra garage and shooting into open door. That turns me away from the airport and provides a back garage wall reinforced with a stack of misc sheets of plywood. I don't have enough bow or arrow to "tune" that.

It is nice to not be alone on this. Being new to archery I felt a bit embarrassed to have had a drywall and siding tune misfire. Luckily I had a scrap of matching siding I could slip behind to cover the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my garage there is a hole in the side of my plastic trash can, hole in the plywood on the back of my workbench and a field point stuck in the concrete. They all line up nicely.

Back