• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dual tree strap method

dcraze

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought myself the Aero hunter evolution - I had been back and forth between this, Guidos Web, or a Lone Wolf climber. The climber is tried and true- but I couldnt shake the desire to try out the saddle. I should get it next week - just in time for bow season!

Anyways, here's my plan of action for entry into the tree:
Basically you use two tree straps- one is for the harness and one has a foot loop. You climb the tree just as you would with a climber- when your weight is on the 'footloop tree strap', you raise the 'harness tree strap'. Then you put your weight onto the 'harness tree strap' and raise the 'foot loop tree strap'...you continue this pattern until you get to your desired height.

Has anyone else tried this method? I've done a lot of research and haven't come across this method - is there a reason why? I cant believe that I'm the first person to think of this...

First of all, welcome to the site! I think you will really enjoy hunting out of a saddle.

I have not personally tried out this method. Most of my spots are pre-set and I use climbing sticks for spots that aren't. I can remember hearing a little bit of talk about it but I don't know of anyone that is really doing it with a saddle. It would be very similar to this method with a climbing stick [youtube]7NcroPLbzPc[/youtube].

If it works out for you let us know. Just make sure that you practice before the season!

Ha yep I've come across this method in my research- this would be quicker but then you have to carry the stick out with you instead of having just a backpack with rope and carabiners- slow and steady up the tree , nice and quiet- I'll be practicing as soon as my saddle arrives

Great! You've definitely given me some food for thought. Let me know how it goes!

When I tried it, i was using a minimalist Rock Climbing Harness.
Not NEARLY as comfortable as an Aerohunter.
I will try it again.
It wasn't full on torture but wasn't super easy either.

Think about how you get down too.

If you had a length of Rope with you, you can Rappel down much easier than climbing back down with the webbing.
Of course then you have to have Rope (about 4 lbs for 40').

You would double the rope and that makes it easy to pull down when you land.
OR you could girth hitch it and hope you can shake the rope loose so it slides down (no branches in the way!)

justsomedude said:
If you had a length of Rope with you, you can Rappel down much easier than climbing back down with the webbing.
Of course then you have to have Rope (about 4 lbs for 40').

You would double the rope and that makes it easy to pull down when you land.
OR you could girth hitch it and hope you can shake the rope loose so it slides down (no branches in the way!)

Good ideas. If anyone tries it let us know!

I've done it in practice.
I learned it to have as a self rescue in case I lost a Climbing stick or got stuck doing the dual strap method.

I girthed a single rope around the tree and pulled it down after me after I descended.
Also works with Double rope.

Rappel descent with an "ATC Guide" descender and you add an Autoblock under it (you should anyway).
Just a French Prusik attached below the descender.
Make sure you learn how!!

Descending using a Blake's Hitch is very easy as well.
BUT MAKE SURE you learn how.

Funny thing with Blake's Hitch is that you make it loose by grabbing the knot.
So if you panic and grab on TIGHT...you come down fast.

Back