• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Duck scouting yesterday

Scoutman

Went to look at 2 new spots for 2nd split opener Saturday. Saw 200 to 300, mallards, pintails, teal, gadwalls. Built blinds, marked trail on gps, etc. My archery season may be over, hurt my shoulder last Thursday. PT therapist says no bow for at least a month, so we will see.
2eea3089aef93ddcd58b907752ed2d69.jpg
72ef1be146c9e413046d6d0c591fae5d.jpg
2a577133ba8be91e06390e886e146c6c.jpg
578dbf38fabb95dac4dea085bda1be34.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

If you need help killing big ducks let me know.

Was my first passion.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

If you need help killing big ducks let me know.

Was my first passion.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk
There is nothing like it when the killing is good. I've about swore it off due to access and cost....and lack of birds. But when I get in on a good shoot of decoying birds in brings the desire right back.

I live in an area where you might see 2-300 teal and woodies but probably haven’t seen 200 wild mallards in my life. Good luck.

I live in an area where you might see 2-300 teal and woodies but probably haven’t seen 200 wild mallards in my life. Good luck.
A-friggin-men brother!

It kills me to be back in a creek and hear somebody quack. 10 years and I've NEVER seen a mallard on the property I hunt. I'd like to kill one someday, but woodies are beautiful, good sport, and delicious.

I guess I cant complain.

A-friggin-men brother!

It kills me to be back in a creek and hear somebody quack. 10 years and I've NEVER seen a mallard on the property I hunt. I'd like to kill one someday, but woodies are beautiful, good sport, and delicious.

I guess I cant complain.

Woodies are harder for us to find around here than mallards by far. I’m not a waterfowl hunter, but the woodies are my favorite of them all. Purely based on how cool they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodies are harder for us to find around here than mallards by far. I’m not a waterfowl hunter, but the woodies are my favorite of them all. Purely based on how cool they look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I never get tired of them. Honestly, I think that float shooting a hot creek is the most fun you can have with a gun.

I honestly feel sorry for you fellas who don't have decent waterfowl opportunties. Guys don't get really fired up around my neck of the woods till the bird count hits 50-60K at a a nearby refuge. I live right on the Missisippi flyway. When we have a good push of birds things are good for a few days and then cool off till we get a new push or a weather change. We see mostly mallards. I can't tell you how many times I've had to stay out waiting to finish a limit, only needing my non mallard birds to get my 6 (were only allowed 4 mallards).

A-friggin-men brother!

I guess I cant complain.
That makes me laugh. Two years ago the neighbor to my bosses land shot ducks one thanksgiving morning. They had about a half acre of flooded timber baited with corn. It sounded like a dove shoot. I was maybe 200 yards away but could hear them talking and laughing. Waaaak was wak wak wak wak. Then hear about eight shots and could hear them holler back and forth how they had called them in. Of course they posted pics on Facebook with six guys behind 40 ducks. The next weekend the man in the green suit showed up and ticketed them all. Floating creeks for wood ducks is fun. If you hit a good slough you can kill your limit of wood ducks and still be in the tree before the sun gets up good.

That makes me laugh. Two years ago the neighbor to my bosses land shot ducks one thanksgiving morning. They had about a half acre of flooded timber baited with corn. It sounded like a dove shoot. I was maybe 200 yards away but could hear them talking and laughing. Waaaak was wak wak wak wak. Then hear about eight shots and could hear them holler back and forth how they had called them in. Of course they posted pics on Facebook with six guys behind 40 ducks. The next weekend the man in the green suit showed up and ticketed them all. Floating creeks for wood ducks is fun. If you hit a good slough you can kill your limit of wood ducks and still be in the tree before the sun gets up good.
Just to clarify, they were shooting woodies? Funny story either way, but if they were quacking at woodies and claiming they were responding its hysterical.

Wood ducks will absolutely respond to calls and dekes, if you're already setup where they want to be. ;)

Back