• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Duckman is great

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
for those of youw aiting for the Ropeman, I will have to say for a few dollars more the Duckman IMHO is a better gadget. Used it this weekend and could not be happier. The ropeman is now on my backup rope. Thanks to Red Squirell for turning me on to this ascender.

I assume you mean the Kong Duck?

My biggest issue with the Kong Duck is the reason why Wild Country pulled the Ropeman 3 despite the 3 meeting all standards. While the 3 allowed for a wide range of ropes and webbing, the engagement was relatively soft compared to the 1 and 2 (i.e. more slip with the 3).

Yes Kong duck.... It didn't slip at all on me. I even tested it with a climbing runner

I have one on order. I chose it over ropeman for two reasons. First, is that it handles smaller ropes without barbed teeth like the rope man 2 and I plan on putting a small Webb strap with a girth hitch through the hole to eliminate any metal on metal clanging.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Re: RE: Re: Duckman is great

BassBoysLLP said:

My biggest issue with the Kong Duck is the reason why Wild Country pulled the Ropeman 3 despite the 3 meeting all standards. While the 3 allowed for a wide range of ropes and webbing, the engagement was relatively soft compared to the 1 and 2 (i.e. more slip with the 3).
http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Ascender-Re ... -Ropeman-3

BassBoysLLP said:
BassBoysLLP said:

http://m.outdoorgearlab.com/Ascender-Re ... -Ropeman-3

That might worry me if i was using it as ang ascender. I am not, i user it as a stationary hold much like a prussic. Pretty easy to ensure it is engaged while standing on a platform before putting weight on it. Anything mechanical can fail.

Agreed. Just throwing it out there.

Are you planning on tethering to a sling hitched to the tree?

BassBoysLLP said:

I'm not sure yet but it is an option in looking at and playing with... I know there is some concerns with doing so.... So I'm studying and learning. I personally don't feel it is a problem if you replace equipment periodically

I love the duckman's also. And I think we should refer to them as duckman's from here on out! :thumbup:

DaveT1963 said:
BassBoysLLP said:

I'm not sure yet but it is an option in looking at and playing with... I know there is some concerns with doing so.... So I'm studying and learning. I personally don't feel it is a problem if you replace equipment periodically
I've definitely thought about it. Even thought about having a backup sling. Two slings has considerably less bulk than a rope tether. I already carry a couple as a backup method when climbing one stick.

Haha. Yeah. I've come to the point where I use the "duckman" more often on my tree strap too, and sometimes rotate the Ropeman into the lineman or bridge adjustment position. I like that the duck is a little longer than the Ropeman and I like the teeth on it, once I got used to the idea that the plastic was Gonna hold me. I still tie a safety below it though

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Damnit...and I just bought two Ropeman 1's, one for the tree strap and one for the lineman's belt. Oh well, maybe I'll upgrade next year.

The ropeman works great, but it's a little bit harder for me to operate one handed than the Kong. That's the only real world justification I have for preferring the duck. The ropeman probably is safer (I'm not sure) due to this- it makes some kind of sense in my mind that the ease of operation could indicate a less intense"grip". Not sure about that though, but because I have several of each, I tend to use the ones I find more convenient most often

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

akira7799 said:
Damnit...and I just bought two Ropeman 1's, one for the tree strap and one for the lineman's belt. Oh well, maybe I'll upgrade next year.

I think I prefer the ropeman for the lineman's belt. Since the carabiner pinches the rope it keeps it tighter and it doesn't dangle around like it would on the duck for this purpose.

redsquirrel said:
akira7799 said:

I think I prefer the ropeman for the lineman's belt. Since the carabiner pinches the rope it keeps it tighter and it doesn't dangle around like it would on the duck for this purpose.

I suppose I'm still behind the power curve as I still prefer my lone wolf strap for my lineman's belt

DaveT1963 said:
redsquirrel said:
akira7799 said:

I suppose I'm still behind the power curve as I still prefer my lone wolf strap for my lineman's belt
I guess I just meant I prefer the ropeman for a lineman's belt over the duckman. I like my tree saddle style lineman's belt the best but I'm just trying to find something lighter. I went with a lone wolf strap but I didn't like how heavy the cam buckle was compared to the strap. I like a little "structure" at the end for when I am reaching around a big tree and need the extra few inches to be able to grab it.

redsquirrel said:
DaveT1963 said:
redsquirrel said:

I guess I just meant I prefer the ropeman for a lineman's belt over the duckman. I like my tree saddle style lineman's belt the best but I'm just trying to find something lighter. I went with a lone wolf strap but I didn't like how heavy the cam buckle was compared to the strap. I like a little "structure" at the end for when I am reaching around a big tree and need the extra few inches to be able to grab it.

Get the LW tether rope for their factory supplied safety harness or rope of similar diameter and stiffness(or lack of) and use it with the roropeman.I posted pics comparing it against the LW buckle and strap, and the 11mm bluewater assault rope. Think it was in the lineman belt thread. The LW rope and roropeman1 packs up as good as the buckle and strap, but has more back bone than the strap. Its my new system from now on.

Anyone thought of using the duckman as a tether and running the bridge through the hole rather than have an additional carabiner? I don't have one here to play with, but it seems like it would work. On a rope bridge it would require you to untie and retie, but a web loop bridge could just be unclipped.

Erniepower said:
Anyone thought of using the duckman as a tether and running the bridge through the hole rather than have an additional carabiner? I don't have one here to play with, but it seems like it would work. On a rope bridge it would require you to untie and retie, but a web loop bridge could just be unclipped.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I just thought I'd give a little update here. I prefer the duckman for tree strap and the ropeman for my lineman's belt. I think the ropeman works better for a linemans belt because it pinches the rope against the carabiner so it makes less noise when you move it around the tree. On the duckman the carabiner dangles when you move it around. That is not an issue for a tree strap, just the lineman's belt.

Back