• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dying camo after fading?

Mitchellfarmer1982

Has anyone tried dying their camo back to close to what is was before fading? I think camo fades worse than anything other clothing ever. I try to limit my washes but if it's bloody I hose it then wash it.

I have a fleece camo jacket I dyed one time, it was real tree extra brown so there were a lot of open spaces in that camo. I used a box of RIT brown dye and it really didn't turn out the way I wanted it to at all. I probably should have used more dye but I didn't want to risk covering the "camo." In retrospect, I should have just completely died it the brown color by perhaps mixing at least a couple boxes of the dye.

No, but earlier today I read something on Arfcom about dying mulsurp ACU garments and gear to something useable. Seems like mixture of different RIT dyes is the way to go.

i would do a crinkle pattern tie dye (most camo like)....i've done this accidentally by stuffing a small yellow backpack in a bucket, pouring a whole bottle of black liquid RIT dye in and filling with water and leaving overnight....looks cool and camo'd....the light areas are the greenish yellow and that fades to black

of course, that isn't the preferred method....you can look that up if interested....i believe for that pattern you ball the item up and then put rubber bands around that ball

They do make a nylon dye for backpacks and stuff too. Rylon or something like that its called?? I watched a video the other day of a guy dying a MALICE pack with it and it turned out great. He dyed it a brown color and it came out coyote. The nylon straps really lightened up and were turning purple so that's why he dyed it.

They do make a nylon dye for backpacks and stuff too. Rylon or something like that its called?? I watched a video the other day of a guy dying a MALICE pack with it and it turned out great. He dyed it a brown color and it came out coyote. The nylon straps really lightened up and were turning purple so that's why he dyed it.

RIT makes a nylon/synthetic-specific dye that is a liquid. It works pretty well.

RIT makes a nylon/synthetic-specific dye that is a liquid. It works pretty well.

The Arfcom link has a bunch of experiments on different materials, techniques, and mixtures of dyes. Once you get it dark, you're not getting it light again, so you might want to dye it repeatedly to get the shade or tone you want.

Lots of my cotton camo is pretty faded. I haven't thought about dyeing it, though. Maybe I should.

Back