• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Dyneema for tether

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
Kind of curious why no one is using a 13mm dyneema sling, girth hitched around a tree, with a kong duck, as their tree tether? I just tried it and it works great. guess I'll experiment this weekend as i prep more trees.

Thoughts? I also think it would work as a great lineman's belt as well. Very lightweight and compactable.

Re: RE: Dyneema for tether

DaveT1963 said:
Kind of curious why no one is using a 13mm dyneema sling, girth hitched around a tree, with a kong duck, as their tree tether? I just tried it and it works great. guess I'll experiment this weekend as i prep more trees.

Thoughts? I also think it would work as a great lineman's belt as well. Very lightweight and compactable.
I have actually been doing this recently. I tried to use two of them and do the "dual carabiner hook up to spread the bridge to make it easier to pivot and not pinch" setup. I didn't like the dual setup but a single I've tried as wide as 18mm dyneema sling works great.
I don't like it as much for lineman belt because it isn't stiff, but if I'm not using spurs it works good for me too.
Also I just got 3/8" dyneema rope I'm gonna try out for the all in one rope thing I do. If not all in one, I'll use it as pieces as bridge, tether or lineman belt
Shaun

Only thing that worries me is dyneema doesn't take dynamic loads very well

How do you think that will affect it's use as a tether? Or bridge? I would think that with a fairly large sling or rope (13-18mm sling or 3/8" rope) that it would hold up well. If you have doubts, it could cause me to reconsider, too. Or at least actually look into it more. I tend to defer to the expertise of other, smarter, people and then get inspired by their ideas and tweak them into something more "me"

Shaun

There are some you tube videos showing how easily dyneema breaks under dynamic load and with a know.... It breaks with very little fall two foot with enough weight (body weight)

I bought a 240cm 10mm dynex runner to try out like that. It works, but the reason I only tested it was because it is so thin that there is no forgiveness if you happen to cut or nick it (especially if you don't realize it). If you cut a 1 inch piece of webbing halfway, you will probably have a chance to get down still. If you cut that one halfway, it will probably fail.

Back