• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

easiest way to climb srt?

Tgunz43

Using rads right now with a double foot loop gotten deer but seem to sweat alot with setup

not sure I'm following the question. There are several ways to RAD climb and somewhat dependent on whether you basal tie vs girth hitch at height etc and/or your climbing experience and strength level to determine what makes most sense for you. You can use foot ascenders to rope walk, hand ascender aand chest ascenders or like many of us a hand ascender with an attached foot loop. Your ascending/descending device could be a friction hitch or a mechanical device like a Petzl Rig, GriGri, Madrack lifguard/safeguard or even a Ropeman 1.

I would say if you're sweating a lot then you're either not in good enough physical shape or you're wasting motion in some inefficient manor or you're going too fast or plain just doing it wrong.

I'll be 62 in a few weeks have no problems and have only been RAD climbing about 3 seasons now. When I sweat its because its hot during bow season in Fl, not so much from climbing.

Here's a video of a guy using the same gear I started with. I've since transitioned to 9mm rope and a lifeguard backed with an autoblock for descent.

This guy is kind of a goof ball but has some really great videos on climbing technique. This one in particular he shows a simple way to use 30' of climbing rope to srt and girth hitch about 27' up using a throw weight and minimalist RAD system to climb. He leverages his throw line to set the girth hitch on his climbing line. Basically 60' of throw line and 30' of climbing rope allows you to girth hitch up to about 27'. Here he's using a friction hitch instead of a mechanical hand ascender. I would say this is the probably the bare minimum for a rad setup, but you can see what's possible with very little gear.

Back