• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eberhart Outdoors YouTube channel and new show airing tonight

John Eberhart

Vendor Rep
As some of you might know, my sons and I started a new YouTube channel titled Eberhart Outdoors and we just posted a 35 minute video on the many advantages of saddles over any conventional stands. This video also goes into some detail on hunting crooked trees, big trees, step placement and how to properly maneuver around trees so you don't get picked.
In the entire video I am wearing the new Eberhart's Signature Saddle (ESS) that will be sold through Tethrd at the end of August.
There will be an entire episode posted in a couple weeks showing and explaining what I consider to be the advantages of the ESS over other saddles due to my 40 years of experience hunting them.
I also want to personally thank Scott Hamilton for starting this Saddle Hunter forum back in 2013 (I think) as without this forum, the ever growing popularity of saddles would not be remotely close to what it is today as most of the saddle and saddle hunting accessory company owners came from this forum. While I devoted a complete chapter to saddle hunting in each of my 3 bowhunting books, this site is what brought everyone together and then entrepreneurship took over from there.

This will be my first year hunting out of a saddle so needless to say I've watched a ton of videos trying to figure it out. The amount of subtle knowledge in this video is amazing. So many videos online are directed to the basics/beginner saddle hunter but this is one of the few that actually gets into the details. You're tree selection mentality blew me away. I would have definitely spent my season hunting out of the wrong kind of trees.

Keep up the great work i feel like I'm watching a master class every time I watch one of your videos.

Looking forward to watching the newest video and seeing the new saddle.

What can I say, John's forgotten more about saddle hunting than I'll likely know in my hunting career. There is a lot of subtle knowledge that comes across. I do like his use of the tree and the fact that he gravitates toward larger diameter trees. His emphasis on using the tree for cover is one of the most important aspects and advantages in hunting from a saddle. He does hunt higher than me mostly, but I have had several sets over 25 feet. His focus on balance and control of movement is hugely important, and as we practice getting into positions for shots we would be well served to keep it in mind. As John pointed out the only reason we should be moving is for a different perspective of where we're hunting, but mostly it's shooting position, and those moves will be in the presence of deer, and they need to be silent and controlled, and covered by the tree as much as possible. John mentioned presets and I know the saddle is great for public land. I only put out two stands last year and most of the time I used the saddle and I feel like I was able to cover my woods better than I could if I set out all 8 stands, and I didn't use a climber once. The mobile aspect of saddle hunting is something I will use as much as possible.

There is a lot of public hows coming but keep in mind, I don't have any pre sets on public because you can't, so there is nothing to film and I can't cut anything. I will go in and make a mock set up as I would on public, but there is no way it will be at one of my actual hunting locations at this time of year. The videos on the show were done during post season while I was scouting anyway and wasn't hurting anything. Have 35 shows taped right now with over 100 on the schedule yet to film.

John that was well done. I’m mostly a ring of steps guy also. I do have a couple platforms and the predator xl is on order. So far for me the only time I prefer a platform is on a severely leaning tree or any time I have to setup on the downhill side of a leaner. Keep them coming.

I want to thank you for sharing John. I think there's an art to saddle hunting like anything else. Mostly it comes from time in the saddle in hunting conditions, but when folks with experience beyond our own share, it helps to flatten the learning curve a little, if we pay attention of course. Good stuff, keep it coming, and thanks again.
This may open me up to trying a step or two on my platform strap for more control as I need to move around the tree. Up to this point I've not really seen the need. I'll use the new awareness in my future practice to determine if that's something I need.

Thanks for all the info John, this will be my 1st year in the saddle and you seem to be about the only person putting content out there as to how to hunt leaning trees. Loved the description! I would love to see how more people are climbing trees with limbs and leaning ect. All anyone shows is a trimmed up straight tree. I like to be as non evasive as possible even though I hunt mostly private ground and owners are pretty open to letting me do what I want, I still try to respect their ground. Don't want to lose those privileges.

Back