• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Eberlestock X2 for tall guys?

Publiclandowner

SH Member
Hey guys I need some help! I am an avid bow hunter that only hunts public ground, and for that reason I am transitioning to saddle hunting next season.

As a father of 4 on a single income house I need to make every dollar count, but some times a single peace of gear can really change the experience (mainly Nebraska whitetail and occasional Wyoming elk). For that reason I am looking at the Eberlestock X2 which seems to be the most popular saddle hunting pack.

However I am curious what your field experience is with the X2, specifically when it comes to how it fits. I am taller (6’2”/230) and can only find mixed review on this pack and how it fits tall guys. Is there a max torso length this fits properly and comfortably? I have a 18.5-19” torso.

I am 90% set on the X2 but am hesitant to purchase for fear of it not fitting. I live in small town Nebraska and have nowhere to try one on, and would be purchasing used off of one of here or one of the saddle hunting FB pages (have to make every dollar count), so sending back if it doesn’t fit isn’t much of an option.

Otherwise I have been looking at the MR Pop Up28/38 since I can order it to fit my size, but am not in love with the layout or packability of 4 sticks and platform.

Sorry if this has been asked, I have scoured this forum, archery talk, and FB trying to get an answer! Thanks for your time!

Hey guys I need some help! I am an avid bow hunter that only hunts public ground, and for that reason I am transitioning to saddle hunting next season.

As a father of 4 on a single income house I need to make every dollar count, but some times a single peace of gear can really change the experience (mainly Nebraska whitetail and occasional Wyoming elk). For that reason I am looking at the Eberlestock X2 which seems to be the most popular saddle hunting pack.

However I am curious what your field experience is with the X2, specifically when it comes to how it fits. I am taller (6’2”/230) and can only find mixed review on this pack and how it fits tall guys. Is there a max torso length this fits properly and comfortably? I have a 18.5-19” torso.

I am 90% set on the X2 but am hesitant to purchase for fear of it not fitting. I live in small town Nebraska and have nowhere to try one on, and would be purchasing used off of one of here or one of the saddle hunting FB pages (have to make every dollar count), so sending back if it doesn’t fit isn’t much of an option.

Otherwise I have been looking at the MR Pop Up28/38 since I can order it to fit my size, but am not in love with the layout or packability of 4 sticks and platform.

Sorry if this has been asked, I have scoured this forum, archery talk, and FB trying to get an answer! Thanks for your time!
I’ll be blunt. The X2 likely will not work well for you with a heavy load due to your likely long torso length and short height of the X2.

It is a nice pack. Good layout. Nice for saddle hunting. Ok for elk hunting, if it fits someone’s torso.

With a mismatched torso length, it will work fine for lighter loads. And you’ll even get a few comments disagreeing with my post here, guys saying “it works great for me, and I’m tall”. But once you load it up, and if you are thinking my about using it in the mountains or carrying heavy loads, having the waist belt off you hips, the belt around your belly button instead of your waist, and absolutely zero functioning load lifters, it’s not a great pack for both elk and saddle deer hunting.

And, yes, I own an X2. I use it for saddle hunting, and have for the last several years. But it’s not something I’d take for packing meat or carry significant weight, and I’m shorter than you and have a different torso length.

I bought and used the X2 exactly one time. I’m 6’ with an 18” torso. The pack had 25 lbs in it and carried like my Popup with 60 lbs. My dad’s 6’3” and tried it one hunt and hated it also.

IMO you can’t go wrong with the Popup. Carry sticks and/or platform on the load shelf. There’s several picks on here of the way people pack their sticks in it. New versions of the popup packs are already out, you can pick up the old version on camofire, Lancaster and some other places heavily discounted but they probably dont have a lot of stock left.

You may need 2 packs. Imo the x2 will be too small for you. I had one and there was no way I was huffing out with an elk quarter on it. Ideal saddle pack though. Though I have no experience with the MR pop ups (I have their Sawtooth as my meat hauler) I can vouch for their quality. If it helps--once the FAS pack came out, someone here posted how closely it resembles the eberlestock bandit. I got my hands on a bandit (and didn't let go) and am impressed. They can be had for well under $100. Regardless, 2 packs with a small molle or other type of kill kit to move between packs if there are no better options.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Here’s how I carried sticks in the 28

And here’s the 28 loaded up with 82# of a whole whitetail.

With a mismatched torso length, it will work fine for lighter loads. And you’ll even get a few comments disagreeing with my post here, guys saying “it works great for me, and I’m tall”. But once you load it up, and if you are thinking my about using it in the mountains or carrying heavy loads, having the waist belt off you hips, the belt around your belly button instead of your waist, and absolutely zero functioning load lifters, it’s not a great pack for both elk and saddle deer hunting.
Thank you, and nothing against the guys that say “it works great for me” but I am looking for a pack that doesn’t just work, but that functions properly so I can maximize it.

Do you typically use your X2 or is there another pack you are using?

I bought and used the X2 exactly one time. I’m 6’ with an 18” torso. The pack had 25 lbs in it and carried like my Popup with 60 lbs. My dad’s 6’3” and tried it one hunt and hated it also.
So do you carry a Pop Up then rather than the X2?

Here’s how I carried sticks in the 28

so that looks like you have 2 hawk heliums (what I’ll be running) stacked in 2 sets of 2 with a platform? I’ll have to look at some other Pop Up set ups.

Do you think the 28 is enough to pack in layers (Cabela’s Wooltimate) for cold weather hunting? Have also been considering the 38. I’m generally only minimalist during September to mid October here in Nebraska which I have suspended Fanny pack for.

I am 6’5, 225 during elk season, 245 the rest of the year. I have an X2 and love it and use it for local hunting. Like others said, it is great for quick local hunts but if you are going to pack meat out on it, it gets a little rough unless you come from a background of rucking long distances for selection courses and are okay with a little misery.

There is a used one for sale in the classifieds here currently.

The pop up series are proven work horses as well but just aren’t as easy to pack sticks and a platform as the X2 which is just four buckles and you’re moving very quickly.

I love my X2 and have nothing bad to say about it at all. I also run an Exo mountain gear pack as well for all other hunting but they are expensive.

If you are mil/LEO most companies offer a discount as well so maybe that can help you as well.

I will be blasted for this but Eberlestock is not great for weight. The system is okay but it lacks basics like functional load lifters. If you are going to pack out deer and elk, you may want something else. On the other side, it probably makes a great saddle pack. Packs are tough as they fit everyone different. If you ever get near a scheels, they have a decent selection. If Exo drops the K4 I’m sure there will be a bunch of used packs on the market too.

I am 6’5, 225 during elk season, 245 the rest of the year. I have an X2 and love it and use it for local hunting. Like others said, it is great for quick local hunts but if you are going to pack meat out on it, it gets a little rough unless you come from a background of rucking long distances for selection courses and are okay with a little misery.

I’m a veteran and hadn’t considered looking for a discount, I will be checking that out. I was also an infantry guy, experienced selection, and lived a fair enough chunk of life with a ruck on my shoulders. I typically drag my deer or put on a cart (when I can). I need a pack for winter layers and saddle gear. You think that it’s capable? I may consider running a second pack for my elk trips.

Have to disagree with most here! I’m 6’3” 240 and the X2 has been very comfortable! Maybe not so much for packing out deer AND gear, but for its main purpose of gear in and out it is awesome.( I have an Alpz commander for packing deer out of it is absolutely necessary due to terrain or distance) If you’re planning on hiking way in and bringing everything out including your kill. Then X2 would be too small. I’d rather bring all my stuff out and lighten the load then go in with the other pack and carry out the deer if necessary. (Personal preference). I usually have less than a 2 mile trek at the furthest and most us use a deer hauler in conjunction anyway. So unless you are always packing your deer out??? Good luck!

Have to disagree with most here! I’m 6’3” 240 and the X2 has been very comfortable! Maybe not so much for packing out deer AND gear, but for its main purpose of gear in and out it is awesome.( I have an Alpz commander for packing deer out of it is absolutely necessary due to terrain or distance) If you’re planning on hiking way in and bringing everything out including your kill. Then X2 would be too small. I’d rather bring all my stuff out and lighten the load then go in with the other pack and carry out the deer if necessary. (Personal preference). I usually have less than a 2 mile trek at the furthest and most us use a deer hauler in conjunction anyway. So unless you are always packing your deer out??? Good luck!
So maybe I should not have mentioned the Wyoming elk hunts. This would be specifically for saddle hunting, and if it functions for that as I would hope, perhaps I’ll avoid taking it out west.

I prefer to cart my deer or drag to where I can. Thanks!

so that looks like you have 2 hawk heliums (what I’ll be running) stacked in 2 sets of 2 with a platform? I’ll have to look at some other Pop Up set ups.

Do you think the 28 is enough to pack in layers (Cabela’s Wooltimate) for cold weather hunting? Have also been considering the 38. I’m generally only minimalist during September to mid October here in Nebraska which I have suspended Fanny pack for.

Yeah, I’ve been using the Popup for three seasons. I also used to have a Cabelas wooltimate suit. You could fit the coat in the 28 but I don’t know if you would get the coat and the pants both in there. You’d probably want the 38 for that.

Like you said above you probably want something else for WY elk. @kyler1945 has packed out an elk with his Popup but I think he agrees that’s really pushing the limits of the pack. I’d definitely wouldn’t rely on it to pack out elk repeatedly. I just got the MR Beartooth for my elk trip this fall.

I’m a veteran and hadn’t considered looking for a discount, I will be checking that out. I was also an infantry guy, experienced selection, and lived a fair enough chunk of life with a ruck on my shoulders. I typically drag my deer or put on a cart (when I can). I need a pack for winter layers and saddle gear. You think that it’s capable? I may consider running a second pack for my elk trips.
Take your DD214 that says 11 bang bang and immediate sign up on guidefitter and expert voice websites. ASAFP.

Considering you can suck it up w an Alice or a modified one from Victory Blvd, the X2 will be perfect for you. That’s the only reason it doesn’t bother me as a big tall dude, because your mental and physical baseline is a mortar plate or Javelin or whatever. I also have a 38 inch waist if that matters.

PM me if you need assistance with anything.

So maybe I should not have mentioned the Wyoming elk hunts. This would be specifically for saddle hunting, and if it functions for that as I would hope, perhaps I’ll avoid taking it out west.

I prefer to cart my deer or drag to where I can. Thanks!
I think you would be more than pleased with the X2 for saddle hunting!

Thank you, and nothing against the guys that say “it works great for me” but I am looking for a pack that doesn’t just work, but that functions properly so I can maximize it.

Do you typically use your X2 or is there another pack you are using?

For saddle hunting I use the X2. I put my saddle (with dump pouches attached) into the main portion of the bag. Two sticks on each side of the bag (four sticks total) using the batwings. And my platform in the middle using the middle compression panel. Works great. For colder weather saddle hunting, I strap my heavier jacket and bibs to the outside of the bag, over the top of the sticks and platform using two sections of 1" webbing and ITW repair buckles. Works well, if I'm not hauling anything more than that. This is not a significant amount of weight.

If I shoot a deer, I pack all my gear out in the X2, return to the vehicle, and get a dedicated frame hauler to pack out the meat. (Or, if I'm canoeing in, I'll drag it to the canoe and load it up; biking in I load it into my BOB trailer and pedal it out.)

As stated above, I wouldn't use it for packing out meat. Or in the mountains.

I used the X2 last year for 4 mini beast sticks and a platform. In 6’1” 245lbs with normal torso length. It fits fine, wouldn’t be my choice for meat packing just because it’s going to be quite a ways from your body unless you empty the main pouch. I felt like the X2 was too big in the tree next to me.

I got an Eberlestock Renegade for $125 this summer (a deal I’ve seen pop up a few times). It’s basically the X2 without the side wings. I’ve used it all year with 4 mini beast sticks and Predator platform, it’s worked awesome. Again not what I’d choose for hauling meat but a great saddle hunting pack.

this is my 4th season with the X2 and it's 100% bomb proof. I'll prob be using it for decades. I carry about 25 pounds of gear with it on every hunt. I packed a deer out with it once and would not do it again. It was about 70 pounds and the pack did not handle it well. im 6'2" with average size torso and weigh 200 for reference. Fantastic saddle hunting pack. Not a great meat hauling pack.

With the other sites mentioned, Outdoor Pro deals and Leo adventures are good as well. Also, the OnX Elite membership has some decent deals as well.
Thank you for your service. Apparently you are used not so great packs. I have been through the pack expedition. It’s hard to explain the difference until you experience it. Once you feel it, you know it and it’s hard to go back. Maybe check the member map and see who is close. Good luck!

Last edited:
Back