• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Edelrid Pinch

They make good stuff and their (N.A.)customer service is second to none.

Will come in at $119.95

Looks nice, I wonder how well the connection point will work on a bridge, seems like it will either twist the bridge or orient itself sideways.

Rated for 10mm-10.5mm static rope, but down to 8.5mm on dynamic rope...
Double standard device.

It fullfills EN 12841 when used with ropes complying with type A of the EN 18911. That's the 10-10.5mm static rope use. That's going handsfree, but they expect you to have separate redundant fall arrest system.

It also fullfills EN 15151-1 (belaying and rappeling device for climbing) when used with EN 892 compliant dynamic rope. OR rappeling only with EN 1891 compliant semi-static ropes, also type B that is weaker than type A required for work positioning use. With EN 892 OR EN 1891 Type B rope you must maintain hold on the brake strand.

Double standard device.

It fullfills EN 12841 when used with ropes complying with type A of the EN 18911. That's the 10-10.5mm static rope use. That's going handsfree, but they expect you to have separate redundant fall arrest system.

It also fullfills EN 15151-1 (belaying and rappeling device for climbing) when used with EN 892 compliant dynamic rope. OR rappeling only with EN 1891 compliant semi-static ropes, also type B that is weaker than type A required for work positioning use. With EN 892 OR EN 1891 Type B rope you must maintain hold on the brake strand.
So it would be ok to rappel with 9mm rope?

Looks to be a very nice alternative to the Safeguard, especially if you can eliminate the noise of a carabiner.

So it would be ok to rappel with 9mm rope?

Looks to be a very nice alternative to the Safeguard, especially if you can eliminate the noise of a carabiner.
Absolutely. And as @TreeRecon says it really does work for positioning too. My argument is about what standards/instructions say about it. It is absolutely safer option of the two even if you use a knot on the brake strand because a) you will forget the knot some time b) if the cam becomes obstructed, even short freefall to the knot can make you loose footing and hit your head etc. I mean if it even prevents me from accidentally dropping my bow from the tree it's worth it. Prime opportunity to make a Safeguard slip is if you go around a tree so that your tether wraps on the tree. Suitably positioned groove on the bark can push the cam of Safeguard in enough to cause a slip.

Back