• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

EDP Owners - A Question

BlackpowderGuy (AJHS)

SH Member
I have an EDP, and I have used it for a season, and it is still so stiff when trying to fully open it. Anybody have experience witht this? Do I need to lube something?

I have an EDP, and I have used it for a season, and it is still so stiff when trying to fully open it. Anybody have experience witht this? Do I need to lube something?
I heated mine with a heat gun ( not a torch) while closed right at the pivot & then open all the way it seats into the washers a bit better

Not sure how much you used it throughout the year but sounds like you just need to work it in a little more. You don’t want it loose really.

Another thought, when I had mine, I remember it seemed like the post slightly rubbed on one side of the platform underneath when you got it almost fully extended out. You can usually see if it’s rubbing on the inner wall on either side of where the post goes on the bottom side of the platform.

Not sure how much you used it throughout the year but sounds like you just need to work it in a little more. You don’t want it loose really.

Another thought, when I had mine, I remember it seemed like the post slightly rubbed on one side of the platform underneath when you got it almost fully extended out. You can usually see if it’s rubbing on the inner wall on either side of where the post goes on the bottom side of the platform.
Interesting. From the way you write it, it sounds like you changed platforms. What did you switch to? Been satisfied with it?

Interesting. From the way you write it, it sounds like you changed platforms. What did you switch to? Been satisfied with it?
To be honest I don’t remember what platform I went to after the EDP. I went through a period where I just jumped from one platform to another just to try different ones. I would buy another EDP though if I was in the market. It’s incredibly sturdy, built like a tank and bites the tree harder than most other platforms out there in my experience.

I bought a very lightly used EDP platform as my entry to saddle hunting and am very pleased the way it bites and holds firm. However I know exactly what the OP is describing. The first time I opened it up and went to close it back to flat, I pushed so hard it mashed my fingers and made me really unhappy at that moment. I've worked it back anf forth some and it feels a bit more smooth.....but not a lot. Might be the design or the tolerances between the parts?

Back