• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Electrical Rope Pusher Pole Success

bj139

I used my 10 foot electrical conduit rope pusher to push the rope up a tree. It worked. I shot a doe. Now I can try for the buck.
My tether was set at 17 feet which seems kind of low but the leaf canopy was around there so I could not see as far if I went higher.
It was so thick in there at times I thought I was in Louisiana but the temperature and humidity were both well below 100 so it couldn't be. :grinning:
Here are the photos. Do I get any points? Tomorrow I will wake up early and start cutting steaks.

Hickory Creek mini xbow

Nearest tree shot marker for tracking. i was a bit unprepared. I don't usually shoot anything.

Electrical conduit push pole

Sterling 9mm drag rope

Rage broadhead nearly cut the heart in half and my new favorite gutting knife(sharp), a carpet knife from Lowes for $4.54.

Heart already cooking in pressure cooker

Last edited:
Nice, I’m assuming you’re using the conduit to get the rope up the tree. What is the advantage over using a throwball and pulling the rope into the tree?

Nice, I’m assuming you’re using the conduit to get the rope up the tree. What is the advantage over using a throwball and pulling the rope into the tree?
I can place a tether around a tree with no branches. I have been throwball practicing a bit over the last several months and the tree I was in had 2 trunks about 19 feet up, 1 trunk below. I could have just thrown a throw ball and I think I would have hit it first try or maybe 10th try. :grinning: If I had moved higher it would have made sense to just install my 50 foot tether over the crotch. Anyway, all about just doing it. Sometimes any way you can get it done is the best way. An expert throwballer is certainly better than a mediocre conduit jockey. :grinning:
The dog and I ate 3/4 of the pressure cooked heart. In an hour it will be gone with the gravy on his dried food.

That's pretty slick...can you show or explain to the handyman illiterate how to build that?

That's pretty slick...can you show or explain to the handyman illiterate how to build that?
All pieces 3/4 size tubing.
1. One 10 foot piece PVC electrical conduit cut into 2.5 foot lengths.
2. Two PVC unions.
3. One PVC plumbing tee with the top cut out to fit a rope as shown in a photo above.
One end of the electrical PVC tubing has a bell end so one less union is needed. 4 pieces with 3 unions , one is built in.
Glue a union to one end of two of the pieces with PVC cement and the tee to one end of the pieces with no union. Each piece should have only one fitting, inbuilt or glued on. I drilled a small hole through the unions and pipe to fit a screweye to keep them together when climbing and holes to fasten a piece of twine so I wouldn't lose the screweyes. I also drilled through the tee at an angle and installed a 3" deck screw to hang from my tether as shown in the photos.
To use it I found it best to keep the tether as light as possible so no caribiners or screwlinks aloft. Push the rope up while at times moving the tee horizontally back and forth to get over the friction of rope against tree. I can reach 5 feet so 10 foot pole gets me to 15 feet. I tried to use my short tether to hang and move the long tether up with the pole which is hanging from the tether by the screw. It seems more difficult and I have only been able to get an additional 2 to 3 feet. My hunting results showed 17 feet is enough. That doe didn't know what hit her. They seemed completely unaware. The crossbow and saddle combination seems a bit unfair to the deer but it is what it is.
Just took a few photos. I numbered them so put them together from 1 to 4 and drew witness marks to align the locking holes since I drilled a few too large. Should work anyway but who knows?

Last edited:
Great idea on the conduit! I've been trying to figure out a way to do this without pre-set paracord/throwball and minimal amount of noise. I have some light weight chimney sweep rods that should fit the bill too. And congrats on the doe! Those rages sure do the trick.

Great idea on the conduit! I've been trying to figure out a way to do this without pre-set paracord/throwball and minimal amount of noise. I have some light weight chimney sweep rods that should fit the bill too. And congrats on the doe! Those rages sure do the trick.
I have an 11 foot aluminum extension pole which I have used but if it hits anything it makes a clanking noise. The PVC is quiet although not as rigid. I tried 1/2 inch PVC to save weight but it is too flexible to move the tee sideways at height which is necessary due to bark/rope friction. All 4 PVC sections strap right to my pack so I only have my xbow in my hands while walking. It is funny when the deer stand there and look at you with your weapon strapped to your pack. :grinning:

I woke up early and got to cutting before it got too hot. I have five plastic shopping bags full of deboned venison. I have to clean it and freeze most of it this afternoon.

Deer rib meat in hamburger drippings (beef). Browned them in pressure cooker last night, then turned down stove to low and left overnight. It tastes like beef and the strong deer flavor is nearly gone. Tender as heck. I was going to put barbecue sauce on them but that would ruin the great flavor. This is today's lunch. I have to get back in a tree hunting. I feel the urge.

Deer rib meat in hamburger drippings (beef). Browned them in pressure cooker last night, then turned down stove to low and left overnight. It tastes like beef and the strong deer flavor is nearly gone. Tender as heck. I was going to put barbecue sauce on them but that would ruin the great flavor. This is today's lunch. I have to get back in a tree hunting. I feel the urge.

How did you prepare the rib meat? Did you take off the silver skin and tallow?

How did you prepare the rib meat? Did you take off the silver skin and tallow?
This was the layer of muscle on top of the ribs which I filleted off. I didn't see any silver skin.
I tend to cook meat in a pressure cooker to tenderize it. This was overnight trying to cook low and slow, like smoking.

I cooked some front leg muscle overnight in the pressure cooker on the warming element on my stove. It is very tender. I added in some carrots and celery and pressure cooked it at 15 psi for 30 minutes. Delicious stew. Venison stew is the best way I have eaten venison.

love the ingenuity going on here and of course the end result is the scientific proof of your methods. :)

love the ingenuity going on here and of course the end result is the scientific proof of your methods. :)
One of the things I like about this site is the many climbing methods discussed. Many people keep multiple climbing methods ready so they can take the one that will work best for the tree they are climbing. I practiced with multiple sticks, single sticking and Primal steps this past summer and thought I would use these hunting but so far about 10 hunts I have only used SRT / RADS most times with the push pole but recently with the throwbag. The only methods I have not tried are the ones that are not legal on public land that damage the tree. All the methods work so I don't try to defend to the death any of them anymore. I just want to get hunting easiest with the most safety.

Back