• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Encouraging News!!

BrianO

It seems like more often now than before people are showing up. Every couple days some one else signs up and says hi..its encouraging to know that through this site, podcasts,founding saddle hunters, and now social media spreading the word of new saddles. We are growing at a rapid rate. True I have not been a member here that long but looking through the archives we seem to be growing quickly. Thank you to everyone that has skin in this game for helping to promote a fantastic way of hunting.

I have mixed feelings about it honestly. I'm happy to help folks out, but I dang sure don't want to lose the edge a sub 10lb setup provides when everybody else is humping a 40lb lunk of metal around.

Kinda like hunting spots. I'll tell you what I know about finding good spots, but I don't want to see you in my hidey-holes!

I take solace in knowing that most folks wouldn't hike as far as I do or hunt the nasty stuff, even if they had somebody else to carry the gear in for them. Lazy hunters be lazy.

I have mixed feelings about it honestly. I'm happy to help folks out, but I dang sure don't want to lose the edge a sub 10lb setup provides when everybody else is humping a 40lb lunk of metal around.

Kinda like hunting spots. I'll tell you what I know about finding good spots, but I don't want to see you in my hidey-holes!

I take solace in knowing that most folks wouldn't hike as far as I do or hunt the nasty stuff, even if they had somebody else to carry the gear in for them. Lazy hunters be lazy.
I can totally understand and appreciate that. I may even agree with you to a point. But I believe most that are lazy will never get past the learning curve required to tweak the set up. I know I had several hours in my yard before my first sit. I've got hard core hunting buddies that refuse to sit in my saddle,they don't like the idea of a rope huh holding them up. I respect that. I'm just excited to see options are surfacing. I also truly believe that saddle hunting is the safest way to be in a tree. And for that I hope everyone switches. As long as they don't find my spots... haha

If I learned anything at Saddlepaloooza back in February it was that this community of like-minded hunters is truly amazing and I think it takes a special level of commitment and dedication to actually be a saddle hunter, and even more to be successful, it's definitely not for everyone but it's great to see the word getting out there. Personally, I don't think it could do anything but improve our hunting community, just look at Tethrd Nation. There will always be competition for hunting especially on public land!

When I ordered my Kestrel my buddies where like no way dude. You think that rope will hold you. I talked so much about how secure it was that one has gotten the bug. He waited with me till Tethrd opened and bought a Mantis and had never been in one.

He came up Monday to hang in my Kestrel and first words was about how safe he felt in it. If non-believers would just give them a shot I feel they think the same way.

I agree for the most part but there are still plenty of us that aren’t afraid of the work involved with hauling 30-40 pounds of gear in and out every hunt. I have been doing it for over 30 years and never complained a bit. Not gonna lie though since switching to saddle hunting the weight savings is pretty darn nice.

Plenty of lazy hunters out there that will never put in the work no matter what equipment is available. I’m really thankful for that. Generally if I run into somebody deep in spots I hunt there is some respect because I know they are hardcore serious hunters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@Dewey, I respect those willing to hunt the tough stuff, but it's a competitive respect, if that makes sense. I wish him safe hunting, and that's about it. I dont want him shooting my deer, although I'd probably help him drag it out if he did.

I've never vandalized any cameras or stands, but I may or may not have taken down some flagging tape and peed circles around a treestand. :openmouth:

Outside of my dad, I don't help folks kill deer.

@Dewey, I respect those willing to hunt the tough stuff, but it's a competitive respect, if that makes sense. I wish him safe hunting, and that's about it. I dont want him shooting my deer, although I'd probably help him drag it out if he did.

I've never vandalized any cameras or stands, but I may or may not have taken down some flagging tape and peed circles around a treestand. :openmouth:

Outside of my dad, I don't help folks kill deer.
While I don't give away all my hunting spots to purposefully try to ruin another's hunt is not something I want a part in. If we take the attitude that we want to be the only ones succeeding we will ruin the sport.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

While I don't give away all my hunting spots to purposefully try to ruin another's hunt is not something I want a part in. If we take the attitude that we want to be the only ones succeeding we will ruin the sport.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I respect that. I worked in a sporting goods store for 5 years. Large part of the reason I stayed for that long was because I enjoyed introducing folks to the sport, and I liked the feeling of making a sale and knowing I'd helped fund conservation via some sweet, sweet Pittman and Robertson money. I've given lots of equipment away to folks new to the sport, and taken folks hunting when I knew that the end result would be white tails in the air and a Waffle House lunch.

I'm funny about deer though. I've skipped breakfast and dinner to pay for gear, and I lost 50lbs to get in better hunting shape. I remember the first deer I shot like it was yesterday, and still shake my head in frustration because I clean missed her with the first shot.

I wish all hunters a safe and fun time afield, and hope they shoot big ole, gnarly bucks on a yearly basis. But I guess it's a character flaw of mine that I'd really rather not have them shoot the one I'm after. Kind of like I hope every family has a loaf of bread on the table, but if there's only one left on the shelf, my family's getting it.

Not saying it's right, just that it's how I feel. Maybe I'll settle down some as I age.

I respect that. I worked in a sporting goods store for 5 years. Large part of the reason I stayed for that long was because I enjoyed introducing folks to the sport, and I liked the feeling of making a sale and knowing I'd helped fund conservation via some sweet, sweet Pittman and Robertson money. I've given lots of equipment away to folks new to the sport, and taken folks hunting when I knew that the end result would be white tails in the air and a Waffle House lunch.

I'm funny about deer though. I've skipped breakfast and dinner to pay for gear, and I lost 50lbs to get in better hunting shape. I remember the first deer I shot like it was yesterday, and still shake my head in frustration because I clean missed her with the first shot.

I wish all hunters a safe and fun time afield, and hope they shoot big ole, gnarly bucks on a yearly basis. But I guess it's a character flaw of mine that I'd really rather not have them shoot the one I'm after. Kind of like I hope every family has a loaf of bread on the table, but if there's only one left on the shelf, my family's getting it.

Not saying it's right, just that it's how I feel. Maybe I'll settle down some as I age.

I think that is a reasonable way of thinking.... I see myself much the same I want to promote the sport as much as possible but I don't think anyone ever wants to feel like they have some how limited their own hunting opportunities due to their actions..... however I will never let that keep me from promoting hunting and especially saddle hunting, if the competition gets stronger I'll just have to hunt that much harder!

I agree with G2, saddle hunting requires more physical conditioning and effort to get accustomed too, that's why I have 4 trophyline saddles. Guys used them once and said no way, too much work. Not everyone wants to learn a new trick. It's like 10% of hunters take 90% of game. Success is earned, not given.

Well I guess it was ol @Nutterbuster that put the corn around my ladder stand a few years back!

Nah, man. But that scrapeline you hunted last year?

Me.

In all seriousness, I took my dad squirrel hunting on a nearby parcel of WMA hoping to show him some spots he might could come back and deer hunt. We're walking through the woods and I'm telling him all about this little cluster of white oaks that slope down to the edge of a marsh and as we get to the base of the trees he says, " I think I see why you like this spot."

Corn. Everywhere.

Another time I climbed up in the dark and when the sun rose I saw it. Not cool.

Im just seeing this thread now and i have to say everyone has some really good thoughts here. I am one of a few in Connecticut that hunt from a saddle. There are not more than a hands count and I guarantee they are probably forum members. I have Only met one to my knowledge.

I share the thoughts that this form of hunting requires alot of initial prep that most won’t be willing to pursue. I like the edge I have being in a saddle and I don’t miss my conventional treestand days. I don’t want someone walking in and just shoot a deer i have worked for to pattern or have hunted for years waiting for the perfect moment. But thats hunting its a game and sometimes the players just get lucky. It would suck but if its meant to be it will is my theory.

I also like the fact that we are growing as it shows progession. It allows we are gathering attention and are not always being looked at as the silly guys wearing diapers trying to kill dear lol. I think the demands of saddle hunting ultimately transform you into an elite hunter.

Since my total commitment to the saddle i have been able to access spots that i would have never gone. With that i was able to experience more about my prey and has allowed me to observe behavior in real time. This has been one of the greatest developments in my game. In addition i have always been a gear guy..i love gear. The more i use the better I understand what works for me and my style of hunting. I know i want lightweight, multifunctional, safe, and durable gear. There is no price I won’t pay and if I don’t like it or use it ill end up selling it on here for a huge discount.

I think the newcomers will be great for new ideas and thoughts and in exchange we can share lessons learned. Every year for the last 4 years i have tried to help rookie and new hunters learn and experience the awesome stuff. I don’t sugarcoat it though i tell them its not that easy like they see on tv. I coach them and go out with them a few times till they feel proficient to setup regardless of their methods treestand, etc. Some have succeed and most just become the occasional weekend warrior or just give up. Saddle hunting will be no different some will jump on board and some will want to go back to the dock!!

Welcome to the club all you new guys!!! I look forward to learning from you all!!

@Dewey
I don’t vandalize, but I sure do carry a card reader and copy all the pictures on their card!! I leave the pics on there so they don’t lose the intel, but a little planning ahead and 10-15 extra minutes gets me all the intel that every camera I pass soaked up for free!

I don’t vandalize, but I sure do carry a card reader and copy all the pictures on their card!! I leave the pics on there so they don’t lose the intel, but a little planning ahead and 10-15 extra minutes gets me all the intel that every camera I pass soaked up for free!

LOL. Now that is a riot! Well played sir! Seriously though we have declining g hunter numbers and it’s the biggest threat to our way of life. Saddle hunting likely never gets mainstream but if we can get a few new hunters going and reduce the timeframe hunting ladder stands over bait piles then our hunting community benefits and that keeps things like public lands public

Hell if I can get my older brother(@rheusmc13) to even consider using a saddle then anything odd possible! LMAO!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The way I see it if someone's willing to walk over a mile into the woods to hunt a spot he has every much of a right to be there as I do. I only hope that he would be as respectful to my stuff as I am his. As a rule if something does not belong to me I do not touch it. I have a hunter that moved in on a food plot that I have on a property line and set up a feeder with a camera that I can see from the food plot. As tempting as it is I've never once messed with it. I figure if he shoots the deer and I don't it's just the way it was meant to be. Besides I've been blessed enough to have enough money to buy all the groceries I need. Outside of that I would hope everyone would give saddle hunting in honest try. I also hope that it would help spark a fire in new Hunters so we can keep this sport alive and plenty of hunting land available for all of us!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I never touch anyone’s stuff however I may make an exception for this tactic. Just have to make sure to reset the camera properly when i leave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back