• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Entry Exit Strategies

Rangermatthews

Vendor Rep
Entry Exit Strategies

Tracking dogs were extensively studied by the Germans dating back to WWI. Dogs track by one of two methods. Commonly a dogs tracking method is described as ground disturbance or trailing/human odor. Two tests were set up. In one test a wooden wheel with wooden feet attached and no human odor was rolled over vegetation. In the other test a chair lift type apparatus was used to transport a human over an area without touching the ground. The Germans discovered that most dogs were successful at one method but not the other. They could find the quarry by tracking the ground disturbance but could not find the quarry by tracking only the human odor, or vise versa. Todays police dogs are normally trained to track with a combination of methods. Urban environments with pavement and concrete dictate that dogs need to have the ability to trail human odor but in areas with vegetation the dogs are trained to take advantage of that additional odor.

The track life (how much time can pass before the dog is unable to detect ground disturbance or human odor) is impacted by many things. Temperature, moisture, wind, sunlight, vegetation to name a few. We can personally observe this when we cut our lawn. The odor of the freshly cut grass lasts for a period of time and then goes away as the grass begins to repair its-self. The amount of odor from lush green grass is different than that of a brown dried out lawn. The biggest thing that can extend track life is if something gets left behind. This item that gets left behind becomes a continual source of odor for a much longer period of time. This can be as obvious as dropping a glove but also includes skin contact, clothing / boot contact, sweat, blood / other fluids (ie. dogs trained to track wounded deer). If something gets left behind the life of the track can extend for days or weeks, depending on the item.

I would assume deer naturally track by one of the two methods or a combination of both. Every one knows that thinking about your entry and exit is an important consideration. The question is now; do you want the life of that track to be several hours or several days?

As with other types of scent reduction it becomes a cost benefit determination. You may not plan on hunting that location in the near future. You may even plan on pushing in deeper at which point the additional odor in your previous location may even help with that strategy. But if you are limited with the amount of areas you choose to hunt, then reducing contact odor and taking a hard look at your entry / exit is probably a good idea.

IMG_0139.JPG

Entry and exit is the single most important thing to your success short of keeping the wind in your face.

Entry Exit Strategies

Tracking dogs were extensively studied by the Germans dating back to WWI. Dogs track by one of two methods. Commonly a dogs tracking method is described as ground disturbance or trailing/human odor. Two tests were set up. In one test a wooden wheel with wooden feet attached and no human odor was rolled over vegetation. In the other test a chair lift type apparatus was used to transport a human over an area without touching the ground. The Germans discovered that most dogs were successful at one method but not the other. They could find the quarry by tracking the ground disturbance but could not find the quarry by tracking only the human odor, or vise versa. Todays police dogs are normally trained to track with a combination of methods. Urban environments with pavement and concrete dictate that dogs need to have the ability to trail human odor but in areas with vegetation the dogs are trained to take advantage of that additional odor.

The track life (how much time can pass before the dog is unable to detect ground disturbance or human odor) is impacted by many things. Temperature, moisture, wind, sunlight, vegetation to name a few. We can personally observe this when we cut our lawn. The odor of the freshly cut grass lasts for a period of time and then goes away as the grass begins to repair its-self. The amount of odor from lush green grass is different than that of a brown dried out lawn. The biggest thing that can extend track life is if something gets left behind. This item that gets left behind becomes a continual source of odor for a much longer period of time. This can be as obvious as dropping a glove but also includes skin contact, clothing / boot contact, sweat, blood / other fluids (ie. dogs trained to track wounded deer). If something gets left behind the life of the track can extend for days or weeks, depending on the item.

I would assume deer naturally track by one of the two methods or a combination of both. Every one knows that thinking about your entry and exit is an important consideration. The question is now; do you want the life of that track to be several hours or several days?

As with other types of scent reduction it becomes a cost benefit determination. You may not plan on hunting that location in the near future. You may even plan on pushing in deeper at which point the additional odor in your previous location may even help with that strategy. But if you are limited with the amount of areas you choose to hunt, then reducing contact odor and taking a hard look at your entry / exit is probably a good idea.

View attachment 14228
Another fantastic post. Thank you.
This proves that guys who say they only hunt the wind are a little naive.
Minimizing odor definitely helps keep stands fresh and helps reduce an educated herd. An educated deer is a more difficult deer to kill.
And the less odor we create/leave behind, the sooner the area will become completely odor free.

On private I run a Sthil Hedge trimmer on a weed eater, I cut a solid access trail. I then spray it with some sort of killer. I might hang sticks, but when I walk out out the trail is totally finished I won’t touch those woods till I’m ready to hunt. No telling how many times I’ve had deer take the trail I made to access the spot. Public, I study maps. Mark the spots on wind apps. I don’t go in unless it’s a wind I feel to be favorable to the set. If leaves get bad I might blow the trail, but I might have 6/12 spots set lots of work in July means I can sneak in an be undetected in October/ November.

The WMA I hunt is littered with foot trails for the general public, hikers, bikers, dog walkers and such. The deer are familiar with human scent on these trails. I can access the general area of my sets using these trails without to much worry. I am careful when I cut off the trails to my sets. I am one of "those guys" that utilize a strict scent control regime and I'm always mindful of my entry and exit impacts. I don't use any trail prep because to do so would alert other hunters to my set locations. Using the saddle and bringing everything in and out each time is for me the biggest advantage to keeping where I choose to set up my secret. No more tree stands for the other hunters to key off of.

I’m in a similar boat as Kurt. I have watched good bucks on numerous occasions walk down a hiking trail less than 5 minutes after hikers came through with their dogs. The deer showed no concern with their scent in those encounters. I also find that deer will often bed in areas where they can watch those trails with multiple exit routes.

I am more concerned with concealing my entry and exit from the hiking trails from other hunters where I dive in to head to the bedding and finding routes in where the deer can’t see me from their beds.

Back