• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Essential Oil Cover scent?

GetHomeSafe

Hi all, Does anyone else use a cover scent made from essential oils? If so what is your recipe? How do you find it works for you?
Here is the recipe I use:
Hunting spray with these oils as well. 4oz water 20 drops of cedarwood, 20 drops pine, 10 vetiver, 15 fir needle, 5 spruce, 5 Cypress. Use a glass dark colored spray bottle.

Spray boots, clothing, pack, bow. release, hat, saddle or stand, spurs or sticks, lineman ropes, tether, ...all.

I use this soap rather than hunters soap. It is unscented and I just add some essentials oils for a mild woods scent.
Hunters Body Wash, Quinn's Pure Castile Organic Liquid Soap. Add few drops of the same oils.

Deer have noses like bloodhounds and it only takes a few molecules per million for them to detect us so you have to hunt the wind. That said I have found this very helpful. I have tried some of the commercial clothing wash, so called fall scent. Bunch of chemicals combined a a lab. It smelled right to me but not to the deer. At least all these oils are made of stuff that actually grows in the woods. I have found it very helpful. The oils cost a bit. But once you have them you have enough to make gallons of spray. I mix 8oz. at a time. Shake before use. It actually is a pleasant woods smell.

Last edited:
I definitely believe in hunting tbe wind, but I'll will be giving this a shot this coming fall. I quit using store bought sprays and stuff years ago. Hate the chemical side of that. I often wonder what it was doing to me, also my equipment.
I think this could help and no extra junk in it. Thanks for posting the tip.

My wife swears by essential oils for just about everything. Our house is full of them. I love how some of them smell (cedarwood, etc.) and I've even taken to mixing a few as beard oils from time to time. However, all those beard oils get put away in SEP. I'm skeptical about how forest goats would react if I tromped through our bit of hardwoods wearing cedar, pine, fir, spruce, and cypress...

My concern has always been that even though something may smell like this or that and seems legit, that it won’t to the deer and they’ll know the difference. A deers nose blows ours out of the water, so I try to play the wind.

You risk alarming deer anytime you introduce a foreign smell. That even goes for deer scents. Over the years I have had more bad experiences with scent than good experiences. There are exceptions to every rule and in most cases coincidence plays more of a part than we give credit to. I wish there was a magic potion but there just isn't. With that being said it is all about enjoying yourself and if using scent or any other tool adds to the enjoyment/confidence go for it.

My wife swears by essential oils for just about everything. Our house is full of them. I love how some of them smell (cedarwood, etc.) and I've even taken to mixing a few as beard oils from time to time. However, all those beard oils get put away in SEP. I'm skeptical about how forest goats would react if I tromped through our bit of hardwoods wearing cedar, pine, fir, spruce, and cypress...
My experience has been it's helpful but not foolproof. I can certainly say it does not spook them. Put out some corn or hay this sping. Put a rag on a stick by your feed covered in this spray. See if the deer are bothered. I can see deer from my window a lot so it's easy to check.

My concern has always been that even though something may smell like this or that and seems legit, that it won’t to the deer and they’ll know the difference. A deers nose blows ours out of the water, so I try to play the wind.
I also believe the wind is the best assurance. But I can say from experience, even in my own yard. I live rurally in Hayward, WI. This is not a scent that puts them on edge or alert.

Back