• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Ever seen a black raccoon?

Bosey95

SH Member
No deer this morning, but I did get a chance to break in the Mini when this chunky fella came running through. I’ve never seen one with so much black fur. Most of his tail didn’t even have rings, it was just black. Anyone else come across one before? 28965362-E8D7-4066-B2C0-01C1DB48BE67.jpeg

Haven't seen one that dark, I did see a albino 25 years ago all off white except the yellow rings on the tail and yellow mask around the eyes. It went under my tree while bow hunting and let it go. I was offered $500 a few days later from a guy I told so I spent some time tring to get it, but never seen it again

Never seen any weird color 1s but I did see a momma coon with no tail...like she wasn't born with a tail...had round rump like a bear. She was walking the swamp edge with her 4 babies that all had tails

Haven't seen one that dark, I did see a albino 25 years ago all off white except the yellow rings on the tail and yellow mask around the eyes. It went under my tree while bow hunting and let it go. I was offered $500 a few days later from a guy I told so I spent some time tring to get it, but never seen it again
That is wild! What a sight, sounds like something out of a cartoon.

Albino critters fascinate me. I had a buddy growing up who killed an albino squirrel one year. I think I was more excited about that than I’d have been if he’d killed a Booner.

Lots of albino squirrels around here. Figure it’s effective camouflage 6 months a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is cool, thanks for learning me up. Is a fisher coon pelt worth any more than a regular one?
Speaking of the fur trade...even in a good fur market, fisher coon have limited value because of their rarity. Many furs used in the garrment industry are dyed and you can't dye over black without expensive treatments so they have to be used naturally and they just dont get enough to match up for a serious garment line.

There are people out there that like to buy these oddballs at very good money either for mounts or wall hangers

Back