• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Evolution for a kid

Dwaters416

Ever since I have been using the evolution my son who is 10 has been wanting one. Well tonight I picked up a aero hunter over on AT for a good deal and I will order the evolution bottom. My son is 10 and pretty big for his age (5' tall 110lbs). The saddle is a size one and I know it will be to big for him but he can grow into it. Any tips on teaching him how to use it. This season I'm going to let him practice in the yard and be at ground level and see how he does I think.

I think you're on the right track. Practice, practice, practice and make sure he can use it safely.

Foot work and shooting.
Those two things make a better saddle hunter. Shooting from a saddle is not the same as shooting on flat ground. The more of your body (knees, thighs, hips, shin, feet) you can get in contact with the tree the more stable you will be. I wish I could have a picture off me in position to harvest every deer I did. It would be neat to look at. Foot work makes getting into position easy, the more you practice the more it comes natural. Just don't pile it all on him at once. Make sure he is comfortable with it then add, "pretend shots" so how he would get into position and things like that.

Thanks,
Boswell

Boudreaux said:
Foot work and shooting.
The more of your body (knees, thighs, hips, shin, feet) you can get in contact with the tree the more stable you will be.

On a side note, I think I might hold my bow more stable when I'm in the saddle than standing on the ground for this reason. 2 left shoulder surgeries has left me a little more shaky than most.

I agree with being extraordinarily stable in the saddle at full draw. It seems like I'm always able to hook a foot around the tree or wedge a knee in somehow to feel rock solid.

Only real recommendation I can make is simply practicing from a lot of different positions.

As long as you maintain your anchor points and have a stable base, which is pretty easy to achieve with the saddle, it shouldn't take long for your son to acclimate to shooting full-draw from a saddle.

I have been practicing a lot of unconventional and intentionally sloppy shooting, like with one only one foot touching to the tree or on a tree step, both legs wrapped around, one leg, twisting around for a 180degree shot, leaning out, peeping around, bending at the waist, arching back, etc.

As long as you don't fudge your anchor points (for me first knuckle of release hand behind the ear and tip of nose touching string- i don't use a kisser), and try to keep your back straight, you should maintain good accuracy.

Back